1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dv to computer

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by MyKRyT, Dec 20, 2004.

1. MyKRyT

MyKRyT Member

just come back from new york and g/f is bugging me for the video... i want to put it on dvd for her and edit it... ive been told i need 'firewire' (and i still have no idea how that works) but do not have the funds to buy it until after christmas.. all i have is the usb cable that came with the camera (JVC PIX_MCV) to do it with.. ive managed to gat a couple of programs that will capture the footage but it is FAR to distorted and jerky... is there anything i can use until after christmas?

thanx

mike

2. flaur

flaur Member

you should enable (if your computer supports it and it is disabled) USB 2.0
    if this is not the case then you should try some other software (you didn't mantioned what sw you used) and try a higher resolution for you capture

ps: firewire is a pci card usually (if you don't have firewire 'onboard') that provides another kind of link from your dv camera (the model of camcorder you have it is a digitall one, right?) to your pc. about exactly how it looks you search the net or go to a local store. the prices for this varies from 50 to 100 usd.

3. MyKRyT

MyKRyT Member

i used it with mediostream... ime not sure about the usb2 but i'll hav a nozy round my comp... the firewire sounds cheap enough... it is digital yes... the software that came with the camera (image mixer) captured it well but would only capture it as a pme file for some reason so editing was impossible.. it even wanted me to pay for an upgrade so i could put it on DVD/VCD!! cheeky or wot!!!

thanx for your help... appreciated

mike

4. flaur

flaur Member

if your computer is newer then 2 years than you almost sure have usb2
    you might change your video capture/edit/burn software: pinnacle studio, ulead movie makerm adobe premiere, sony vegas, are some of the best you could try. these are quite complete software, will let you do about everything you need and some of them are really ease to work with.
    good luck

5. djbod

djbod Member

Even if his computer does have USB2 it will probably not help. I doubt very much if the camera is USB2 if it also has a firewire connector. Both ends have to be USB2 to use the higher bandwidth it provides. My advice is to pop over to amazon where you can pick up a firewire card for about £15. Really easy to install. Plug in and go :)