1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV to divx/xvid doesn't give me a good result!

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by matknu, May 3, 2005.

1. matknu

matknu Member

HI,
    I'm new to this forum and aslo relatively new to divx/xvid. I searched the forums but obviously didn't know really what to look for so I post my question here.

I have a Sony TRV19 and I want to convert my DV files to divx or xvid. I read the tutorial on doom9.org on how to make the set up but I don't get a good result!? The image gets blocky and pixelated especially when there is movement. I read somewhere 10 mb/minute should give a good quality in using xvid format. I can't run Dr. DivX on my computer (Dr.DivX just closes down) so I have tried Virtualdub and Premier 6.5 but I get crappy results anyhow. While fiddeling with the settings I even managed to loose the image and just capture the
    sound.

I HATE to be a newbie on things but here I'm in the newbie-stupid-leauge.

If anyone would have the kindness to help me or point me to a thread where light can be shone on this I would be very grateful.

Cheers,
    Mats

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

sounds like you do a 1 pass cbr. try 2 pass vbr.
    or if did do a 2pass vbr. follow this tip.

if you're using xvid you'll see the stats file with thos red blue and green bars. then there's a average bitrate output. calculate 60-70% of that (you can choose whatever ratio, lower means less quality), and use that average bitrate for your final pass.

the stats are the best possible quality you can get (quantizer 2)(1 is overkill).