1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVB - Close down

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by F4HAD, Jun 7, 2008.

1. F4HAD

F4HAD Guest

I think it would be appropriate to close the DVB section for a while, because it is attracting a lot of interest all over the internet, and although it introduces more members which is a good thing, it is also attracting attention from others too, including people asking for codes and illegal help, etc...
    Dont get me wrong, the dvb section is 100% succesful, but look at digitalworldz, they were forced to close an entire main section of the site due to people begging for codes.
    Also, members are joining just to ask for codes, and then never logging in again!
    Just a suggestion, dont hate me for it

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

i am sure if there is any problem with that fourm, the mods will do the right thing!

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

It's under control; yes, we have far too many people swarming here begging for codes, nothing more we can do than keep shutting them down.
    I even tried to be a bit sneaky; as they must flock here for a reason, i figured maybe they're coming here from a google search, what with the top google searches being afterdawn a lot of the time. So i hid a few of the (old) Code begging threads that were showing up in the google searches.
    But my (admittedly unproven) theory didn't work as on Friday eve we were hit with an amazing amount of beggars, it seemed like half of Ireland turned up here en masse. I find it very frustrating as the code beggars bring nothing but unwanted attention to the site (especially in light of frequent arrests around the UK) and cause us a lot of extra work, but like most things like this, it probably boils down to traffic for the site, so we have to live with it and keep shutting them down (hoping they'll eventually stop coming here) :)

edit- i forgot to add, even if we could do things like close or hide entire forums temporarily (you wish!), the mentality of (too) many of the DVB code beggars seems to be that they have no concept of forums (let alone the concept of computers), so there's frequently far too many threads regularly being opened in completely and utterly irrelevant forums. We can't win either way :(

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  4. F4HAD

F4HAD Guest

OK, I understand, but cant more banning stuff be introduced, like HardDrive Volume bans and stuff like that to ban out the beggars from even entering the site?

5. creaky

I think they should all spend less time in front of the TV, when i was little we had just 3 channels.

6. F4HAD

F4HAD Guest

i know, there all addicts arent they?
    isnt having over 40 freeview channels enough?, instead, they want all 180

7. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Is that with or without the coat hanger bunny ears? :D

I lurk in the DVB section just to see how many closed threads Creaky (among other mods) can come up with from silly users. They keep up pretty nice. :)

8. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

How about a dvb special section for codes, only there is no way to post them, and no way to start a thread ? Just a thought ?

9. aldan

aldan Active member

creaky,you must be just a youngen.when i was a kid we only had 2 channels and one of them didnt come in very good.did see the beatles on the ed sullivan show when i was six tho.LOL.what the hell is dvb?

10. creaky

DVB = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Video_Broadcasting
    i don't know all the ins and outs, i just think of it as Digital Freeview personally. I'm old enough to remember our first tv (black & white obviously!) would switch off and leave a white dot in the middle of the screen which took a while to disappear. It could be there were less than 3 channels back then (in which case it would have been just BBC and BBC2), however i don't remember exactly when Channel 4 appeared ie our 4th Channel (just googled and it seems it was 1982), plus who could forget when we got Channel five and all the hoo-hah it entailed ie the mass disruption with the video recorder signal as it conflicted with Channel five.

Ah, what a farce that was :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  11. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

Just a thought what if the DVB section how many members would be left on here as it by far the greatest section on the afterdawn forum which does attract a lot of attention and yes they do come from far and wide to ask for certain things that are no longer allowed but the help they get here to alleviate the problem is been sorted by updating there stb with the help of the good people who give up there free time to help others by closing threads and other stuff this is not called help.

Are these forums to help people if not what are they formed for that would be my next question

(F4HAD)
    in your signature you have always happy to help yet could this be the same person who is always happy to help others LOL

EDIT Hope you're going to behave this time around -

F4HAD (account created on 31 May, 2008) has used same IP address as f17khn (banned on 15 May, 2008)

i have not seen you on any of the threads which i have subscribed to in the dvb section about other forums they have slowly started to open back up there cable section they have not been deleted as they have just been hidden from view and as creeky can tell you a mod can still view all these sections so it is just a matter of reopening them and all will see

These are my opinions and nobody else's say it as it is !!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2008