1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Authoring Procedures

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by ibmeubu, Aug 24, 2004.

1. ibmeubu

ibmeubu Member

Hi All,
    I have been backing up my DVD's with DVD Shrink. The program is great but I would like to remove some of the misc "Extra" things that come with the main movie. If I try to Author then it tells me that the Menu's will not work. Also, I'm not sure what I can actually remove without making the DVD non-operational. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your assistance. As usual, Afterdawn members have been great in dealing with problems.

2. htigue

htigue Guest

You can just copy the main movie if you want to or some of the extras. The dvd will automatically play in the player you don't have push play movie on the movie menu. I have done this before when my copy of Jason X wouldn't copy the full disk.

3. nist

nist Member

Try to use the "still image" functionality on the "extra" material you don't need. This will remove most of the space (almost everything) the extra use. Try also to have maximum compression on the menu and less on the movie.

4. nist

nist Member

The "still image" functionality is found in the latest Shrink 3.2.0.15 in case you don't find it.

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

ibmeubu, there are 2 ways in shrink to reduce compression on the main movie and retain a working menu.

1-as nist said substitute still image for the extras.

2-raise compression on the extras to lower compression on the main movie.

You have two ways to add the still image, one- click on extras and substitute still image on all extras at once. Or,- click on the + mark beside extras and preview each title individually using the preview slider on the preview window below. Then substitute a still image on the ones you don't wish to keep.

Compression works the exact same way, only instead of picking still image from the drop down menu(on the right), pick custom and raise compression on the ones you keep.

[bold]Also, I'm not sure what I can actually remove without making the DVD non-operational[/bold]

That's easy, leave menu alone. leave movie alone. This is the rule of thumb.

(the only exception to this is if there are 2 movie titles-usually this means one is fullscreen, the other is widescreen. choose the one you wish to keep and use a still image for the other.)

do all your editing in extras. You may raise compression in menu, but usually it is so small it matters little to lowering compression on your movie.

There are exceptions to this, every once in a while you will have a large menu, then compressing would, of course, help.

BUT, basically- go by my rule of thumb.

Hope this helps...

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2004