1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Authoring with two HD camcorders - Sony Vegas or Adobe Premier/Encore, settings, compression

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Jamey5k, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Jamey5k

Jamey5k Member

Hello,

I am planning on making an instructional DVD and will be using two high def camcorders (Canon HV20). I have a Adobe Master Collection CS3 and can potentially use the combination of Premiere and Encore to make the DVD. However, I have also heard excellent things about Sony Vegas and am considering purchasing that. Does anybody have any recommendations for which one produces higher quality video? Or are there any other Windows-based programs which people would recommend, either instead of or used in conjunction with these programs?

In either program, what recommendations do people have for capturing the video from the camcorder to get the highest quality for playback on a TV? I realize this show be MPEG-2, but I assume it should be set for max bitrate?

Since all video will be recorded in HD, what will happen if end users do not have HDTV's - will they still be able to view the video correctly? Or will I have to convert the HD videos to standard resolution video and make a second option on the DVD itself? Will I have to do anything with the widescreen format to adjust it?

The camcorders I have do have the option to shoot in 24p mode. I know a lot of people like this for a "film" look. Is this mode actually higher quality, or does it just simply produce a more dramatic effect? This is for an instructional video, so I want to do what looks best and most appropriate.

I am planning on syncing up the digital video so that I can show two different angles on the screen simultaneously. I also considered having the option of viewing either or both angles, but I imagine that is somewhat time consuming to set up. Any tips?

Thank you so much for your help with this!

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

ok i think i may be able help on part question here...

doesnt matter what software is used for the end project quailty so to speak it mostly depends on what the file/files will be played on.

normal dvd players use mpeg2=.vobs and wont play hd files, although going from hd files (4x better crisper quailty) to mpeg2 will yeild the best mpeg2 from them so hdtv doesnt matter they will see mpeg2 standard. (not brill on a big screen hdtv) but very much watchable and a good standard.

now if you keep them as x264/hd files you/they need a player to suit not sure what HDCAM file format comes from a hdcam?

so more important what do people have player wise then go from there... for the masses i suspect normal dvd mpeg2 players

normal old style dvds (mpeg2) are viewed fine on hdtv (widescreen) and you can use full screen/widescreen function in softwares, just as we know not as crisp as HD files.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008