1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD burner not reading blanks

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ninjitsu, May 1, 2005.

1. ninjitsu

ninjitsu Member

Hello, I am having a problem with my DVD Burner. I have a HP 400C DVD Burner. My media is ilo Technologies. My DVD Blanks are not being detected by my drive. I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling my controllers and checked my ASPI layers. Anything else I may do?

2. colw

colw Active member

Never heard of ilo Technologies media.

Try some more established/tested brands e.g, Ritec, Verbatim, TY.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

You media is defiantly a poor one for doing DVD video work. I suggest something with some decent quality - TY's G04's, etc ?

And it's not that I doubt you BUT the only HP 400C that is listed on the Internet happens to be a Desk Jet Printer and while it does write - it generally writes to sheets of paper and doesn't work well as a DVD burner.

Perhaps you might provide us with some better information ?

4. ninjitsu

ninjitsu Member

HP DVD Writer 400c

5. hursty

hursty Active member

try searching for a firmware update,and flash the drive,
    using the latest firmware will allow the burner to read some of the latest media released,and some of the not so popular,
    this is not gauranteed,if this dont work.....get a different brand,

i would recommend doing that anyways,as they sound cheap(the ones you have)

6. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

On the HP site, this is what I can find for DVD 400

Results for "dvd 400" (6 products)

HP DVD Writer dvd400 series
    HP DVD Writer dvd400e
    HP DVD Writer dvd400i
    HP DVD Writer dvd420e
    HP DVD Writer dvd420i
    HP DVD Writer dvd420ve
    HP DVD Writer dvd420vi

Here's the firmware availability for this drive:

DVD400 Series Firmware Update Utility
    ======================================
    version date size

KH27 current 2004-12-23 4.98M

FH04 2004-03-25 4.87M

BH04 2003-12-09 4.87M

My 2 cents...

7. ninjitsu

ninjitsu Member

8. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

You need to do some intense googling on this.

You will (find like those of us that did search) this is a common problem.

As you will see when you read, if you use the wrong firmware, you will toast this drive.

Nothing will replace you, yourself, researching this problem, calling HP and making an informed responsible decision on what to do.

Did I mention Google?

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I really hate when that happens -

How are we supposed to help pple when the Mfgrs botch up their stuff so. It's Compaq and HP (really the same company). I had a heck of a time with my HP 200j OR was it an HP 200i ? It was hard even when holding the drive in my hand . . .

They should make it so much easier to identify a writer from a printer, don't ya think ?

Did anyone find this guy's burner ?

As the man said, it's an HP 200c DVD Writer

Lend a hand all . . .

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  10. shrikex71

shrikex71 Member

ALright, I gotcha covered, cuz I have the same drive, the HP DVD Writer 400i is the same thing as the 400c, the i simply stands for internal. The problem I have with mine tho is that I can't write to DVD-R's because supposedly it is only compatible with +R's. However, there's a rumor flyin around that there's a new firmware update floating around that makes it dual format. However I have absolutely no clue how to update firmware. I looked at the HP website at it was useless, they say to go to start menu, programs, Hewlett-Packard, and there should be a thing to click on for ur dvd drive. that doesnt exist on my computer. Any other suggestions on how to get around that would be great

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

shrikex71,

I've had the same trouble. They said my NEC 1300A was a dual format burner as well as my HO 200i and, after trying an entire alphabet of DVD discs I came to the conclusion that once in a "Blue Moon", not all the time, it would write to a top-end TaiyoYuden disc hence, they called it a dual format burner. What a bunch of zero truth in advertising. Soooo, I bought all +R media (Plus media is slightly better anyway) because you can change the booktype to make it a DVD ROM disc, which will play in more players than any other disc. See the link below -

The answer then is . . . they lied ! Buy +R media and be happy. I now have 4 burners 2 Pioneer (which, unfortunately cannot change a booktype), an NEC, which can and an HP, which can. The moral of the story, don't ever buy a Compaq OR HP product.

Why DVD+R discs are superior:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/113

Cheers,

Pete

12. shrikex71

shrikex71 Member

Yea, I was afraid that was the answer I was gonna get. Thanks for givin me an explanation that actually makes sense instead of all this false hope i've been hearing. Could u tell me how to change the book type tho? I use DVD Shrink, and I'm pretty sure that burns through nero, what do I need to change to change the booktype.

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Booktype can only be done with +R media and a burner other then P;ioneer which will not support booktype setting.

To give you one example, using DVDD, go to "Tools" - "Drive" - then select "Change Booktype", select your burner and you're "off to the races" do it to a +R OR a +RW. When doing an RW you can "undo" it the next time you burn.

Play around with it, it's fun,

Cheers,

Pete

14. ninjitsu

ninjitsu Member

So you think I should buy different media? I've been told the same thing by others and I thought the same thing myself after it didn't work when I tried to burn it, but I had no idea the media brand can conflict with the drive so much. Do you think +R media will have a higher chance of working?

15. shrikex71

shrikex71 Member

If u got -R's from what I've been finding out over the past couple days it just isn't gonna happen buddy, not with that burner.

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Since the drive obviously has issues with -R media, as noted by several members here, it only makes good sense to go with the +R. Most of the top end media are a good choice; i.e. Verbatim, Maxell, TY, Fuji, and Ricoh. There are a number of others. Steer clear of the lesser known brands and companies like Memorex that sell the CMC Magnetics media.

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Truer words . . .

18. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

...were never spoken!

Hi brobear, hi ScubaPete,
    So with new dual layer 16x drives available for less than $75.00US maybe one should consider replacing the drive.

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  19. brobear

brobear Guest

fasfrank
    Nowadays, we're spending more on media for a bulk shipment than the cost of a new drive. I have different equipment, but my favorite burner is still an old 4X Memorex (by Pioneer). Though it can't change to DVD ROM, I've never had a completed disk fail to play. When one has a good burner, stick with it. Can you save more than a few minutes on a backup? Experience shows that errors occur more often when burn speeds are increased.

20. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I agree 100%. I do feel a need to try out new devices programs and techniques as they appear. Lot easier to help someone if I've tried the program, etc. You are probably in the same boat I am in....Just about everything I try works the first time. I have a hard time duplicating people's problems

I thought I would try that Pioneer 109 out and did a few 4x burns. No problems at 4x so I have tried a few at 12x and still no problems.

I absolutely do not recommend for anyone to burn faster than 1/2 the media's rated speed... at least not until a person knows enough to understand the consequences of "Pushing the Envelope".