1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by dell600m, Mar 25, 2005.

1. dell600m

dell600m Guest

i am in the market for an external dvd burner what brand and model should i buy. what is the differnce in a single or dual layer burner and which should i get?

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Get a good brand name like Nec/Pioneer/plextor/Benq/Lite-on. Newegg.com have some great deals on them and find an enclosure.

Single or Dual Layer? Most of these newer 16x burners can burn both.With the prices of dl discs-$10 or so,not very many members using them,but the prices should be falling soon.
    Make sure you get a dual-format burner,helps on compatability issues on some of those dreaded standalones. The quality burners help out on that issue as well. I've had quite a few compatability issues on an I/O magic 16x.Those I/O's are outsourced,so it's hard telling who built them until you install them.Stay away from the generic ones.

Then you have burners with bit-setting option so you can book-type your dvd+r backups to dvd-rom. Better compatability. The benq 1620 can do this.
    Good Luck dell.

3. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

Get the NEC 3520A from newegg.com and thank me later for telling you about the great deal and the GREAT burner. It costs about $55 after shipping and you get a lot more than you pay for. You wont ever be happy without this burner.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

5. dell600m

dell600m Guest

thak you for all your help and time.

is it true that you can't copy rented movies?

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

[bold]is it true that you can't copy rented movies?[/bold]

Untrue,but is it ethical? If you can play it in your pc dvd-rom or rw combo drive,then you rip them.

Lots of newbs always posting questions about that and AD could possibly get into trouble with all the piracy. That's why we refer to the copies we make as Backups. Here is the usa, it is only legal to backup those dvd's that you have in your possession.

Renting movies to copy,usually if they are older ones,the more chances for read errors because they are all scratched up. To encode a dvd onto your harddrive,you need every bit of data on the original disc to be able to do this. Damaged discs will give you crc errors,thus not allowing you to rip them.
    You've come to the best forum on the web,and there are many resources at your disposal here.