1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD burning from various file formats.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by tater9104, Oct 7, 2004.

1. tater9104

tater9104 Guest

I am currently trying to burn dvd's from various downloaded file formats, such as mpeg, avi, etc. I am using dvd lab for this, but I am running into some problems. I have mpeg files, but the dvdlab will not recognize them. Do I have to "fix" them so that they can be recognized. If so, where can I find that program? (By the way John 179, thank you for your reponse, but I could not get Mirc to work due to firewall difficulties. Thanks for the help though...)

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there tater9104,

Try either Cucusoft OR give DVD Santa a shot -

http://www.avi-vcd.com/

http://www.dvdsanta.com/features.htm

Cheers,

Pete

BTW, when using mIRC you'll have to allow it through your Firewall, just use a secure download site for your files AND don't open anything you didn't order.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
  3. tater9104

tater9104 Guest

Hey Steve,
    I have read alot of your stuff, you do a great job! I appreciate your answer, but that was not entirely what I was asking. You see, I have some mpeg files that I want to put on DVD. DVD Lab does a great job and it is fun to use. However, whenever I try to import some MPEG's into my assets, they are not recognized. The computer states that it is an invalid MPEG file. So you see, I need to find something to "fix" these files so that they will be recognized. I have checked with other DVD authoring programs, but the problem still exits. What should I do? Thanks steve...

4. limelight

limelight Regular member

dvd santa. does everything u need. its fast, easy, 30 bux.
    i live by it.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

While you're waiting for "Steve", maybe I could help ?

There different MPEg's.

To get one that will work on a DVD, try TMPGEnc DVD Author. It will take you from your MPEG to VOB's which uyou can then burn right to disc :)

Cheers -

Pete

6. tater9104

tater9104 Guest

sorry pete!!! I knew that, but I guess it was a carry over from the movie. I guess waiting for steve would be a long wait indeed!

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Limelight,

It does seem that it does quite a bit BUT the quality on several tasks I tried it on was rather poor. For a DVD backup proggy I'd rather use ANYTHING ALSE !

You might want to try other proggys before swearing too much, heh, heh :)

Cheers,

Pete

tater9104,

I didn't think it was too hard, I do sign my name at the bottom of every post -:)

Cheers,

Pete

8. tater9104

tater9104 Guest

Pete,
    I almost think that you insulted me with that last comment, but since I am asking for help I will just smile and nod. Seriously though, I used DVD Santa to convert my mpegs to vob files like you said. DVD Lab did recognize it, but then something weird happened. When I burned it, the DVD had no audio. The icons on the burner said that it had audio, but the DVD did not. If I burn with DVD Santa they work just fine, but DVD Santa does not support menus, which stinks if you are trying to put mulitiple movies on one disk. Any advice? If you know a good program that can convernt the MPEGS and has the options to create your own menus, I am all about that. Thank you for the help, it is really appreicated. I wish I could help you out in return, but all I do is HVAC. So if you have any heat and air problems, let me know. Otherwise, i guess a thanks will have to do. C-ya.

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

tater9104,

Oooohhh, no my friend, not in a million years, I twis' only having a bit of fun with you - Someone once said, "If you cannot find humor in life you'll have surly died before your time." It was a wise man who said it - Huuuummm, Now I remember, it was ScubaPete in one of his more serious moods (Lol).

Okie, Dokie, back to the matter at hand -

AVI's to MPEG using TMPGEnc then from MPEG to your VOB's using TMPGEnc DVD Author to get your VOB's, BUP's, and IFO's using TMPGEnc DVD Author
    OR
    MainConcept MPEG Encoder 1.4 (to encode from AVI/Divx/MPG, etc to DVD compliant MPEG2)

TMPGEnc DVD Author (to convert from MPEG2 to VOB/BUP/IFO)

Cheers,

Pete

10. tater9104

tater9104 Guest

Another day, another question... Okay, I have the 1.03 version of Mainconcept MPEG Encoder. I convert my files to MPEG 2 (or do I use the DVD option?). Then, I have tried to use DVD Lab from this point. I am so hung up on this because of the awesome menu options that it gives. However, it will not recognize videos from the MPEG 2 option of MPEG Encoder. It will open them, but say that the framesize is out of whack. The DVD optoin of said program has the oppisite effects in that the video works great, but the audio is nothing but static after being burned. It said that it had to be converted from LPCM or something and that I should select my options. Where am I going wrong or should I just go to TMPGEnc DVD, which does support limited menus? If I go this route, which option on the MPEG Encoder should I use? Finally, finally... when I get all those files converted to their respective places, do I use the built in burners or should I use something else? Everywhere I read seems to suggest using Nero or some other clone of Nero, but why not use the burning programs that come with the coversion kits? Pete, as always, you help is appreciated. I think that I will have build a scuba pete shrine and burn all the messed up DVD's that I have in homage to your wisdom (well... I probably will not go that far, but I do have alot of messed up DVD's...)

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Your choices are simple, do the work and have a fairly decent DVD OR use NeroVision OR DVD Santa with their 1 step, limited rendering and have a crappy DVD.

I've already told you what I like -

Here it is again -

and for you relevant question, it's your choice, use TMPGEnc DVD Author's burner OR Nero's. Both are fine :p)

Let me know how you fare -

Pete

12. tater9104

tater9104 Guest

Okay, I finally got it to work. I used MPEG Encoder to changer to mpeg compliant video files and then used the limited TMEGnc DVD Author's Menu system to make the DVD. I could only get 4 episodes on one dvd this way though... When I use DVD Santa, I could get 14. The quality on each is the same. Do you have any suggestions about getting more than 4 using the method I did? By the way, my files I am working with are mpg and not avi. The regular TMEGnc does not recognize them to convert them (at least I could not find the option) Thanks...

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi tater9104,

I haven't done too much rendering for a while, sounds like DVD Santa works pretty well for you. If the quality is exceptably, go with it -

I may run something through dvd santa this weekend if I have the time, it sounds promising -

Burn on my friend, burn on -

Pete

14. jimmyfro5

jimmyfro5 Guest

For the easily ammused DVD Maker, How can I get DVDShrink to see a MPEG2? I read the above mentioned post, but I want to be sure. I accidentally captured a movie at 4500kbps and it is 7.85 GB . Shrink only sees DVDfiles. I just want to shrink a MPEG2 and then burn it.
    Any other avenue other than using TMPG?

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Iffin ya want to do it "right" it should be rendered.-

MPEG to VOB using TMPGEnc DVD Author - after TMPGEnc

Options:

NeroVision OR dvd Santa - for more like the one-step approach.

Be fore-warned, rendering takes time, several hours -

Try aD's "search" function - I'll show you how to find it -
    Now the following is a little confusing so stick with me - There is a box at the top of each page that is empty and has the word "Search" printed by it. By typing in a request, in your case, MPG to DVD - It should give you some associated material BUT it will come up blank :<(- You with me up till now ? Good ! Now, after you've arrived at that last page, in some very small print, under the heading "FORUMS", then under that "FORUM SEARCH", you'll see "Search options" then "Site-wide search". Heh, heh, Ya still with me ? Yea, I know it's messed up - Anyway, by "clicking" on that "Site-wide search", you'll get a whole ton of information about your topic, "MPG to DVD". I'm sorry it's so "round about" but we do have a lot of information for you :)

Cheers,

Pete