1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD burning problems....please help.

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by jestah57, Aug 6, 2007.

1. jestah57

jestah57 Regular member

Recently I go to burn a DVD (originally using Nero6, have since upgraded to Nero 7 Ultra)...

All goes well when i add the DVD files and go to burn, my problems arise when it tells me to insert the disc to write to.

I put in a blank DVD-R and nothing happens.....the "insert disc" window stays up there. tried multiple discs and nothing happens, except sometimes it spits the disc back out and that same window comes back up.

I have an NEC nd2500a dvd writer, with the latest firware installed....Nero 6 gave me this problem so i upgraded to 7 Ultra, but same thing....

any ideas guys?....thanks in advance...

2. attar

attar Senior member

Did you try inserting the disk before starting Nero?

3. jestah57

jestah57 Regular member

Yeah....turns out the drive doesnt read anything...not even to play a disc. I blew it out with air, and still. I am going to disconnect it and reconnect and try again, but it may be time for a new drive...

4. attar

attar Senior member

You might try uninstalling the IDE controller that the drive is connected to.
    Right click My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager, click on the + sign on IDE controllers, right click on the secondary controller and select 'uninstall', then reboot.
    Windows will reinstall the controller and the drive.
    I assume that the burner is on the secondary controller.
    If it's on the primary, then uninstall that one.

5. jestah57

jestah57 Regular member

thanks attar...tried that, but still no go. It turns out to read CD's (which is when i used my lens cleaner and burned a boot cd), but it just doesnt recognize DVDs...(were talking even a blank one, a burned one, data or movie)....im at a loss, and really dont wanna buy a new one just yet....

6. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

7. jestah57

jestah57 Regular member

thanks gwen....and to all....but still not reading any dvd's....

8. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

It could be that you need to revert to your "OLDER" discs that you were using previously....sometimes this happens with older burners.

9. jestah57

jestah57 Regular member

gwen, what do you mean by "older" and "newer" discs?...the dvds im reading? or trying to write to?

I am using the same case of DVDs that I was using to burn a week ago if thats what you mean, and they worked.

as for movie discs, neither old (discs that I KNOW worked before) nor newer ones work...

10. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Thats what I was getting to, if the discs have worked for you in the past then they still should work...some older burners prefer the "older" discs which have not been "upgraded", however in your case this doesnt seem to be the problem, did you check out that firmware link.

11. jestah57

jestah57 Regular member

I flashed to the most current firmware (1.09)..while I was currently at 1.07....to no avail...