1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Burning problems

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cpants21, Feb 21, 2007.

1. cpants21

cpants21 Member

I d/led a movie from the internet and converted it to DVD using Cucusoft. Then I tried to burn it to Sony DVD+R using cloneDVD. When i played it in my DVD Player, it would seem to pause from frame to frame, and the sound was very choppy. The movie is good when it is on my computer in mpeg format. What can I do?

2. 56delray

56delray Regular member

Buy the movie?

3. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

@56delray, I dont think that is the answer cpants21 was seeking.

4. cpants21

cpants21 Member

yeah you are right... that was def. a smartass comment! I know i could buy the movie but i didnt want to so i posted my question on here. you could buy the movie as well, but you obviously didnt want to, which lead you to read my post about how to burn d/led movies.... so why dont you buy the movie

5. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

@cpants21
    have the Sony dvd+r media previously played perfectly in your dvd player? (I mean other movies/burns?)
    you just reminded me of how I was playing some burns in my stand-alone-player and it gets pixelated and choppy sound - first I blamed other peoples burns until I realised my dvd player does not like certain media/discs.
    just a theory if the mpeg plays on your PC perfectly try burning them to a different disc and lower the speed too.
    But I believe Sony are one of the best.
    anyway, just trying to help.

6. cpants21

cpants21 Member

i havent burned any movies onto SONY discs whether they were d/led or just the actual movies. Maybe i will try to burn a copy of an actual purchsed movie and see if it is the discs or the way i am burning d/led movies.... Thanks

7. ronnybuck

ronnybuck Member

Don't know if this is the right forum but here goes. I have some Spongebob DVD's I bought for my Grandboys when they come. Unfortunately they have scratched and slobbered all over them to the point some quit playing. Some are not replaceable and tried to make backups. I cleaned them and most would now play in the new DVD player I had to buy to do so. I just got a liteon burner that is supposed to burn + or - types. I inserted a - type first which has been working copying my home videos to. I used Shrink and it ran fine but when it started to burn it failed at the lead in. I tried another and the same. So I used some other files and these burned just fine. I then tried a + and everything was fine. I have had a lot of wierd DVD problems and guess I will add it to the list. Now all I need to do is get the ones with the teeth marks to work. Some of these are not available in stores anymore. Anyone have a answer?

8. near

near Member

9. 56delray

56delray Regular member

Sony media can be any number of different media codes [as seen at link above]. This is what you [and we] need to know before the qualitiy can be know. Stay away from these since you will not know what you are buying until it is too late. I use RiData Ritek. Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim are what most here will recommend. They are the best for the moeny.

I have never used Cucusoft so I can not say it was the problem.
    You should post the file type of the dnlo [AVI?]. A lot of what you dnload will be junk and will not convert well.

And yes I was being a smart ass. I was also giving your post a bump, since you had no replies in somedays. I have dnloaded some movies to see if they were worth buying [there is a ton of crap being made these days]. But it it not a wise choice in the long run, because sooner or later the law will come down as they have with music.
    Plus the DVDs you end up with are poor at best.

10. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

@cpants21
    I am a little confused but if you are using a stand-alone-dvd-player to play the discs if they muck up play them on your pc player and note the moments when they caused probs (on the stand-alone)- if they play perfectly on your pc burner that says the stand-alone doesn't admire the discs.
    if that is the case experiment with media/discs that your player does like.
    I hope this makes some sense? For example my stand-alone-player hates cheap brands and yet it loves TDK dvd+r
    if I have a good movie I can burn it onto a TDK +r and it is guaranteed it will play better.
    sorry if I have babbled just trying to help.

11. ronnybuck

ronnybuck Member

Babbling is good. That's how we learn especially dealing with DVD's. I can do things exactly as before that worked then all of a sudden it doesn't. So you have to look for what is different. Not all DVD's are the same even within the same pack. They are cheaper now in more ways than one. Also the burner is aging especially the Laser. With the screwed up DVD's that my grandson's were using they managed to mess up my good DVD player. I bought a new one but now I check the face of the DVD's for food, finger prints and bad scratches. It a good idea to do this on rentals. To clean them I use warm water and a mild soap. Let dry thoroughly. I was able to salvage most of them and get good backup copies. On those that had bad scratches I had set the reading to ignore read errors and the resulting dvd had short places where the picture was blocky but they never noticed it. My new DVD player plays both +/- and and records also. It even plays many of the Dvix files. It was $79 on sale plus I had a 12% off coupon. If I get a couple of years out of it it is worth it. Just to keep babbling I have one for the road. I have 2 six year old Cyberhome Players which plays most bought DVD's OK. My first DVD writer in my computer was a slow one but any I burnt on it would play in these players as long as they were the minus type. Then I wanted to try DL so I bought another burner but anything burnt in it would not play in these players. I used the same blank -r single layer as always. Then that burner went bad and got another same brand and anything I burn in it works just fine in these old players. Go figure. Burning and playing DVD's is still evolving. If they can get rid the lights and moving parts it would eliminate most of the variables. The technology is here and a matter of time before it is cheaper than DVD's.

12. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

@ronnybuck
    nothing better than reading about things we are interested in so cheers for your babble.
    I always try to clean discs of fingerprints and sometimes avoid badly scratched discs altogether. I was annoyed recently at my cleaning because it was creating feint scratches in the process even though I was using a lint-free-seemingly soft cloth.
    I ended up buying a specially made disc cloth and hopefully it's better.
    I apply the smallest amount of disc spray and gently wipe center-out
    anyway I am kinda babbling again but if anyone wants to advise me on cleaning discs?
    I read somewhere avoid cleaning them altogether.
    but thats difficult when others have fingerprinted them or dropped stuff on the surface

13. cpants21

cpants21 Member

i tried to play the dvd in my computer and it wouldnt play because it was an unrecognized file format, so i d/led a codec pack and that fixed the problem. is it possible that i needed to update my codec pack for the dvd to play correctly in my stand-alone dvd player?

14. ronnybuck

ronnybuck Member

It's hard to put a DVD into a player when it has pizza sauce spread all over it. I always check what I rent and unless it has never been rented they are usually covered with fingerprints. As to DVD's in stand alone players that are other than a regular format. I don't think you can get firmware upgrades to add formats other than what it was sold as. When you buy a player look at the front and if it does say like DIVX, MP4 files you are OK. This means it has the codecs but do not know if they are upgradeable. I have all the latest on my computer and from time to time they send updates or corrections. Most Firmware upgrades to players make corrections to what is already there. Most deal with the type of DVD media. I have a player that will not play + and I downloaded a firmware upgrade but it never did any good. Some players are not upgradeable once they leave the factory. They may say so on their sites but most are locked out and you have to return it to them and we all know it is not worth it.

15. cpants21

cpants21 Member

i think i finally figured out a way to stop the laggy playing. i used ConvertXtoDVD. it converted the .avi format video that i d/led and then converted it to DVD. then you could burn DVD right to a disk and it fixed the problem