1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD created using ConvertXtoDVD don't work in home cinema

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by redpepper, Mar 25, 2007.

1. redpepper

redpepper Member

Hi

I've used ConvertXtoDVD to convert a AVI file into a DVD format and this has been burned onto DVD. When I play the DVD I can get it to work on my computer - using RealPlayer - but it won't play in my home cinema system (which is multi-region and plays all sorts of formats of discs). Help!

2. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

How did you burn it?
    What name media are you using?
    The more information you provide, the better.

3. redpepper

redpepper Member

I used the ConvertXtoDVD to burn the avi file after it had been converted. The media discs I have are Maxell DVD-R 1-16x speed recordable. The sony home cinema I have is the Sony DAVDZ210D, as far as I am aware it is supposed to be multi-region.

4. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Try using better media.
    Try burning at 8X.
    Try burning with ImgBurn.
    Is your firmware up to date?

5. redpepper

redpepper Member

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how I check the firmware? I think it may also be something to do with my Sony home cinema possibly?

6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

there are plenty of reasons why certain dvds won't play in other players:

1. burning speeds: burn at 4x so there will be less writing errors (rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of the disk--8X disk burn at 4x).
    2. read manual for your stand alone player and use the disks that will play in your player. If your player is less than 2 yrs old then it should play the + or - R disks! I said SHOULD that's why you read the manual.
    3. try booktyping your drive to DVd-ROM so it will make your +R disks more compatible to players. Read this:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    4. make sure that there are no finger prints or scratches on your disk that make it hard for the player to read the disk!
    5. use good quality media (rule of thumb....buy the ones that are Made in Japan.) Verbatim is a top notch disk and is the only exception to this rule....some Verbatims are made in Taiwan and they are top notch!
    6. and don't burn too close to the outer edge of the disk ..... which will make the disk unreadable! but using good media you will be able to burn close to the edge better than lesser quality media. Just in case I only burn no closer than 4400MB, so if you can set your programs to that, all the better!

follow these little tips of the trade and you'll have better success! good luck.

also read this:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/
    why the +R media is better than the -R media

so it's not your player but most likely the media you used that is not very compatible to your player. if it works on your computer it should work on your player. If your player has played this brand of media before it might be the brand changing it's quality, or using a different manufacturer to produce it's brand! Or you used a newer speed of media than you used to use ..... such as switching from 8x media to 16x media and your drive can't handle the proper burning of the media that makes it recognized by your player! That's why it's important to keep your burners firmware up-to-date.

What is the make and model of your burner? it's not your home system..... it's your media and your burner and what speed you burned at and whether you booktyped to make it more compatible to your home system! I see that you are using Maxell -R media..... try using the +R media and booktyping to DVD-ROM to make it more compatible to your home system. good luck.