1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Drive will not stay closed.

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by Nelmeco, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Nelmeco

Nelmeco Regular member

I have a Lite-on model:SOHC-5232k, and i was fiddling around inside my case while the power was on (stupid idea). I accidentally unhooked the IDE cable from the drive and the computer shut down. Now every time I power the computer on, the tray automatically ejects it self, even after I close it. Is there any way to fix this?

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

And the tray stays stuck out, and won't go in? Sounds to me like either the drive or the IDE controller (or both) is busted. (broken, kaput, foutu). You may have learned one of the hard lessons of computer ownership, namely "Don't disconnect stuff while the computer is powered up, as you may damage components or your motherboard!"

You say you disconnected the IDE cable "accidentally". You must have pulled that IDE cable really hard to get it out! They don't just fall out when you touch them lightly, unless they were not properly connected in the first place, in which case you risked the same damage that you seem to have got.

If you have an old (known to be working!) CD or DVD drive that you don't mind possibly trashing, you could TURN THE POWER OFF and try connecting that in place of the supect drive, and see what happens when you start the computer again. If that tray shoots out as well, I would guess that the motherboard has taken a hit. If not, and it works OK, then maybe (I guess... You've got nothing to lose at this stage) you could try reflashing the firmware on the DVD writer before you trash it and buy a replacement.

Be careful! If the drive is damaged, it might take down the other IDE controller if you connect to that, to "see what happens", and then you really will be skewered.

If the IDE controller was damaged, but nothing else, I suppose you could think about buying an USB or Firewire external burner, either the whole thing or a kit...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  3. Nelmeco

Nelmeco Regular member

Well, when I press the close button, it closes, yet it opens once again. I have another dvd/cd burner, but I would also like to have this fixed. I have connected other cd drives to it an to other cords, so i know it is not a mobo or a ide cable problem. So do you think reflashing the firmware would help it? And if so, where can I find the new Firmware? I have searched for a bit and I cant find it, the help so far is greatly appreciated thanks :)

4. Nelmeco

Nelmeco Regular member

Just tried to reflash the firmware. Doesnt work, unless anyone has another solution, I will give up on it.