1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD drive won't recognize DVD media

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by wa4bwb, May 4, 2004.

1. wa4bwb

wa4bwb Guest

When I try to burn a DVD Shrink created ISO Image onto the selected Lite-on DVD drive with DVD media installed, the drive tells me it will only hold 700 meg as if the selected drive doesn't know it has DVD media in it. I've even tried to load Deep Burn DVD authoring software with the same result. System is WinXP 1GH 256megRam. Thanks for any help! I've searched posts until crosseyed.

2. mastaprk

mastaprk Regular member

What model DVD burner do you have and what media are you using (brand & +R or -R)? Did you upgrade the firmware for the drive? Have you tried Nero or DVD Decrypter to burn? Strange that it would only hold 700MB, sounds like it's a CD-R. You may want to provide more specifics b/c it will make it easier for people to help you, especially if it's a common problem w/ a certain burner.

3. wa4bwb

wa4bwb Guest

I have a DVD/CDRW Lite-on model LDW-411 SnDr.sys drive. I'm running Nero bundled with another installed CDRW drive. DVD shrink and DVD decryptor will only recognize the CDRW drive bundled with Nero, not the DVD/CDRW Lite-on drive. I tried uninstalling NERO and using DEEPBURN but the DVD/CDRW Lite-on will only show up as (apparently) a CDRW since the capacity shows as 700meg with DVD media (Samsung 2X) in the drive. The DVD/CDRW Lite on drive is installed as Second channel master, with the 2nd CDRW drive installed as Second channel slave. Does this help?

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hello wa4bwb, Welcome to our little Club,

You might want to check to see you have the most up-to-date firmware for your burner - and also upgrade your media -

Run a check on your firmware here -
    http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

and once you've gotten your firmware straightened out, consider this, cheap media freezes, skips, stutters, pixelats, partially jams, may be rejected and lest we forget, our old standby, giving you the old just refuses to be recognized routine :-(

Besides "Freezing", "skips" and pixelations, many times you’ll get a “Cyclic Redundancy error” or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won’t accept your “cheap” media :-(
    Another problem which “pop’s up” is a “*Power Calibration Error”. This can stop you right in your tracks and most often is caused by, Yep, you guessed it, inexpensive media.
    *A “Power Calibration Error” can also be attributed to the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isn’t usually the case. Trying to shut down your software and ejecting your DVD then restarting your program and re-inserting the same media recently cleaned has been known to help.

Inexpensive media or even average media is great for text, Data, Spreadsheets, .Jpg and .Gif pictures and is good even for MP3 music BUT for DVD backups - BLAaaaaaT! It SUCKTH in an extremely Big-th way !

2. A good grade media is needed for DVD reproduction !
    “Branded” Ritek G04's or Branded Verbatim are what we’re looking for OR any media boasting “Advanced AZO Metal Dye”, this indicates a superior dye application, while they are sometimes a bit “pricey” they are acceptable.
    Prices online from Meritline.com have gotten Ritek G04 down below a dollar a disc -
    Question - If you make coasters out of 3 cheap or even average discs and good copies from 3 Branded Verbatim discs or 3 “Branded” Ritek G04 discs - which ones then will you say are too expensive ? The 3 “Cheapo’s with no movie backup OR , the 3 recommended discs with a perfect backup on each disc ?

Bear in mind, Memorex, Fuji, Sony, TDK, Orange Pack and others are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets, Data and your text backups and archives, they just don’t work well for DVD backups. Even DataSafe G04’s made by Ritek have been reported as inferior quality.
    Remember, for DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win, the majority of people lose, varying amounts but, they still lose :-(

Let's try the right media for the job - just buy a 5 pack of what we recommend that will settle it once and for all - Don’t cheat though, buy the EXACT media we recommended -

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty, it surely cannot hurt.

cheers,

Pete

5. wa4bwb

wa4bwb Guest

OK Pete.I borrowed a copy of Nero Ver 6 from a friend, installed it to test. Now DVD Shrink and DVD Decriptor work and find the DVD portion of my DVD/CDRW drive OK, so I guess I will have to spring for my own copy. Thanks for the tips on the firmware. I will check that out in a little while. I'm perplexed about the media since we use these Samsung 2X disks at work in commercial DVD machines and have not had a problem there at 2X speeds. They were purchased from a commercial vendor the provide media to professional users. I fully understand that the media has to be good, however I use this drive and same Samsung media with Studio 8 Pinnacle and it always works fine. It is just DVD Shrink and DVD Decriptor that won't recognize the DVD portion of my DVD/CDRW without Nero 6 being installed. Thanks for the tips anyway.

6. MysticE

MysticE Active member

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Guys, I put the word "branded" cause then the Newbies don't come back with a low line DVD "Made By Ritek" -
    But ScubaPete, they're made by Ritek and has their name on the box, isn't that the same thing ?

and wa4bwb, what ever works for you - BUT, when you start having a problem, remember we talked about this - then at least, you'll begin to consider that it could be a factor and maybe before tossing the PC through the kitchen window you'll try a change in media - "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it."

cheer guys,

Pete