1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD playback problems all of a sudden

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by webwala, Feb 13, 2004.

1. webwala

webwala Member

Bought my PC months ago (on XP Pro), since then, no problems with playback at all (using PowerDVD and WMP). Then all of a sudden, last week or so, the DVD reader has started to reject DVDs! It can play audio fine, but data and movie discs are causing problems.

Example:
    I inserted He-Man (I have the POWER!...well used to!) disc into DVD drive. Takes a while, but finally reconises the disc and asks what I want to play it with. It starts to play for about a few seconds and then just locks (picture and sound). I can't CTRL+ALT+DELETE or anything (that includes banging my head off the keyboard)!

I tried this in both media players and have tried re-installing the driver, but no joy. I have not installed any new software that might confilct, so what could be the problem? Has anyone had this problem before? I know that movie files work because my DVD-RW drive picks them up and plays them fine! It's just the DVD reader that is being a pain in the membrane!

2. Buchanan

Buchanan Member

I have a similar problem where my dvd started acting up and now all of my DVD;s play very choppy. I also run PowerDVD and Windows Media Player on a XP Home computer.

3. TPFKAL

TPFKAL Member

can anyone help, i have a creative labs pc-dvd rom. all of a sudden it has stopped playing dvds that it has played in the past. now when i put a disk in it either says that it cannot play a disk that is copy protected or it just does not recognize the disk at all. i have uninstalled and reinstalled the program but it is still doing it...anyone know what to do?

4. ocip

ocip Guest

Yeah, having similar problems with Toshiba Satellite 1905-s303 laptop. Running PowerDVD, InterVideo Platinum, & Window MP v.9. Problem is intermitent. One day a DVD movie that played the night before will not play the following day. Laptop acts as if it is going to play movie, but does not. Error message from InterVideo is, "No valid formatted drive or disk inserted." What kills me is the intermittent issue. One day DVD plays, the next time it does not. Any ideas?