1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd player causing dvd to skip?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by startrek7, Mar 12, 2010.

1. startrek7

startrek7 Member

Hi,
    Silly question. I have backed up several versions of my son's dvd, and the final copy of two appear good quality, and play fine on the first try, but when repeated, it skips in the middle of the dvd. The original has a tiny scratch, and shouldn't cause this. Is it possible that my dvd player is old, and if replaced, would this stop happening?
    Thanks in advance!
    philips dvd changer (one of the first changers)

2. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

Go to a store like WalMart abd buy a player that you MIGHT keep? and try it
    If it works [problem fixed]
    If no work [most likely A bum original disk or Recorder or Maybe You|

PS
    walmart has a very good return policy.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  3. startrek7

startrek7 Member

I was wondering if I bought a new one if this might solve the problem. I was able to burn some cheap memorex dvds with some converted avi movies, and they have turned out fine until recently. The combination of the commercial dvd and homemade ones not working well lead me to believe I'd do best to buy a new player. Walmart and many other stores don't carry dvd changers anymore, so I'll probably buy a Sony changer online, they're about $100.00, not bad considering they have an HDMI input. It supposedly can handle slightly scratched dvds as well. I'm going to search for a dvd lens cleaner, and if that doesn't work, I'll get a new player. thanks for your input LCSHG!

4. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

You refered to DVD changer
    I presume that meens a DVD player
    Have yet to see a Walmart store that has none
    Don't get a Sony A Philips or Magnavox will be fine To test with.
    They should be around $35 to $45

5. startrek7

startrek7 Member

a single disc dvd player would be fine to test this theory I agree. But if the end result means I need a new player, I love having the convenience of a five disc changer. Alas, no store seems to carry them anymore, because everyone wants bluray now. I will be paying only twice as much in the end for my changer as these testers. So maybe I'll stop by Walmart or borrow my mother in laws who probably used once or twice since she got it.
    Thanks again.

6. startrek7

startrek7 Member

Well, with the spouses approval, I got a sony dvd changer from jandr for about $98. SO FAR the backed up copy with 1 click worked. Now I'll have to try the original again. Wouldn't it be funny if all the backed up copies I made were fine, but that my dvd player was conking out on me. Problem is my new one has had reviews for dying after a year or less. Guess I might need to buy an extended warranty!