1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Player "will/will not" play DVD

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by GuyFromPE, Jan 8, 2005.

1. GuyFromPE

GuyFromPE Member

I am using a DVD X Copy Express v3.2.3. My brother also has the same version installed and we are both using the same brand of DVD -R's. When he burns DVDs, I can play them in my home DVD player. However, when I burn a DVD it will NOT play in my DVD player (although it will play on my brother's home DVD player and will also play on my PC). Are there any additional CODECs, patches, etc that I need to install? What could cause the difference between the results of the two systems? I should also mention that my brother's burner is a 4X while my burner is an 8X. Not sure if this would make a difference either (I've tried using other software that allows me to slow burn speed with no luck)? The only other difference between our PCs is I am running XP Home Edition with SP2 and my brother is running XP Professional without SP2.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I understand that some DVD players won't play DVD copies but it's very frustrating when I can play the copies my brother creates and he can play mine ... but I can't play my own.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  2. GuyFromPE

GuyFromPE Member

I think I have eliminated the burn speed as the potential problem. After reviewing other posts on these forums, I tried DVD Shrink and Nero to burn some movies. I also tried reducing my burn speed to 2X. Again, the movies play on my PC, my brother's DVD player, but not on my DVD player. Would there be anything introduced as part of Windows XP SP2 that would lead to this behaviour? That is the only difference I can think of at this time that would lead the movies he burns to be playable on my DVD player while my own won't play.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005