1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Player won't play 1.4GB files

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by abbtech, Nov 5, 2011.

1. abbtech

abbtech Member

I have a Philips DVP5140 player and it used to play everything that I would burn to DVD disks. In recent years many files have changed form the standard 700MB to 1.4GB files. I am finding that many of these will play about 70% to 80% of the movie and then stop playing and skip to the next movie on the disk. The movie plays flawlessly using VLC on a computer by the way.

I thought it was time to upgrade the old 5140 to fix this problem. I purchased a new Philips 3560 player and it does exactly the same thing. What am I doing wrong? Is there a new standard that I need to be looking for in a replacement player?

2. abbtech

abbtech Member

Or can someone recommend a player that would work with these files.

3. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i have the same problem with a philips dvd player.any avi file i try to play over 1gb i usually split in 2 files using avidemux or convert to dvd using dvdflick.dvd players dont like files over 1gb.my player is a philips dvp 3252.

4. abbtech

abbtech Member

I was just hoping to get a machine that could play it without messing with the file and perform any processing. I would have thought this would have been a simple question, unless maybe no stand alone machines can do this?

I wonder if a PS3 or XBox can play DIVX movies that are more than 1GB in size?

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Why are you not using computer as your entertainment system or at the minimum why are you not using it with your tv to view movies instead of fluffing around with standalones