1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd playing

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by rtrg, Jan 28, 2012.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Issue is that dvd does not play correctly. The cursor and control panel "FLASHES" as a cars directional signal does using VLC player. For WMP 9 the title photo IS displayed as are the title list, the control panel indicates playing but there is NO dvd picture. I am using cdec 7.9 from COLE2K.net, the only one that works. It is NOT the drive, I doubt it is the player, the PLAYER MENU appears with a list of players, it is NOT the dvd itself, as the disc and same player will work in other systems. I doubt it is the board since the system works in all other respects. On board audio works. All 3 drives are detected. It is not the ribbon. Both drives are set to CABLE SELECT as always. This is a mystery to me. This is a spare tower so I can live without a player. I even removed and reinstalled PLAYER 9 on the off chance that the player was bad. Swapping hard drives does not sove the issue either. Reloading the OS will probably not work either, plus I dont want to mess up a working system. I used my new xp cd for sp3. Results no different than sp2 cd. Sp3 needed to be installed later as was IE8. All help welcome.

2. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

RONYMAC--- I am not sure if I understand what you are saying. Is this a SOFTWARE program I download that mkes my dvd rom drive capable of playing ANY dvd copy protected or not regardless of region? I ask because I am running XP, with WMP9. I downloaded the codec from COLE2K.net to make the player function. Unlike VLC and the earlier WMP 6.4, P9 does NOT include the mpeg2 decoder(codec). It took me months of trial and error to find it. By accident no less. Also I have a number of towers, all DELL, all running XP, all with P9. A given disc will play using P9 in tower1, but but NOT in tower2. "ERROR< CANNOT PLAY COPY PROTECTED< COPY WRITE ERROR" or similar. The SAME disc wil play in tower 3 and 4. The SAME disc MIGHT play in tower2 another time! Go gigure. Also NONE of the discs I make using my stand alone will play in ANY tower regardless of format, +/-, r, rw, any brand of disc. Is this software supposed to fix all these issues? Details please.

3. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i'd update wmp to latest version and run k-lite codecs pack.

4. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I prefer P9 for its simplicity and the radio. I tried a number of K-LITE packs in the past and none worked. To my knowledge only 7.9 codec from COLE2K works. And it took me months to find it, by accident no less.