1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Quality

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by tracie28, Dec 26, 2004.

1. tracie28

tracie28 Guest

Hello everyone. I'm really new to burning DVD's but I have atleast been able to burn. My only question is there something I can do to improve the quality of the movies I'm burning ? IE...the picture can be a little blurry and sometimes lighting isn't the best. I'm using a DRU-710 Sony burner. I thought I could improve the quality by slowing down the burn speed but I actually haven't been able to figure out how to adjust the speed. I'd appreciate anyones input or advice.

Tracie

2. tracie28

tracie28 Guest

Just wanted to add that the DVD+R's I'm using are store brand from Target. Could that have something to do with the poor quality ? I was just reading about that in another thread so I'm thinking that may be my problem too. If so....what's recommended for best quality ?

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Tracie, welcome to aD,

Can you tell us what proggys you're using and what guide you're using ?

Pete

4. tracie28

tracie28 Guest

To download the movies I'm using a P2P program. The quality is great when I watch it on my computer. I'm using Nero express 2 to burn

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

What format is your download in ?

6. tracie28

tracie28 Guest

sorry i'm pretty new to this...i believe it's .avi but the file also says divx so i'm not sure which one you are looking for :) thanks for any help you can offer

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Tracie,

I know you'd want to find it yourself sooo rather than give it to you, I'll try to help you around our rather confusing "Search" feature.

Here at AfterDawn we have a super neat tool called a Search function. It's loaded with stuff that covers your question - Here, I'll show you how to use it -
    Now the following is a little confusing so stick with me ~ ~> There is a box at the top of each page that is empty and has the word "Search" printed by it. By typing in a request, in your case, "AVI to DVD" - It should give you some associated material found throughout the forums. Pple who are asking the same or similar questions and some answers to those questions. Some stuff you can use, some stuff you cannot :<(- Take a lQQk around and see if something applies or not.
    You with me up till now ? Good ! Now, after you've arrived at that page, if you can't find what you want, then, in some very small print, under the heading "FORUMS", then under that "FORUM SEARCH", you'll see "Search options" then "Site-wide search" in really tiny print. Heh, heh, Ya still with me ? Yea, I know it's messed up - Anyway, by "clicking" on that "Site-wide search", you'll get a whole ton of Guides and related information about your topic, " AVI to DVD". I'm sorry it's so "round about" but we do have a lot of information for you :)

Browse on through that and, if you get stuck once you've begun using a guide just stop on back and we'll try to help you over whatever "bump" in the road you've hit or are having trouble with we'll try to help you get over it -

I already lQQked and there're a ton of answers for you there -

Good luck,

Pete

8. tracie28

tracie28 Guest

Thanks for you help again. I've been doing a lot of reading in the forums and the guides. I found a took called WinMPG Video Convert. I think I'm doing the right thing, lol. I have a stupid question though. Why do I need to convert the file from an AVI ? Am I getting poor quality because it is an AVI ?

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

tracie,

Contrary to popular belief you can't put just anything on a disc, place it anywhere it will fit and have the player smart enough to figure out what you were thinking when you made it and then play it.

If you want to play it then you have to have it conform to what the machine (a standalone player) will play. Since not all standalone players are as smart as a PC as they cost maybe $40.00 and a PC costs $1400.00 you'll have to render it (change it) so that it will in fact, play.

And yes, an AVI is poor quality, whenever you convert it it gets worse, it's what happens with downloaded video -

Cheers,

Pete