1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+R burning and playback problem

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by pat43081, Apr 7, 2005.

1. pat43081

pat43081 Member

Hi. Also new to the DVD burning scene. I recently burned four DVD+Rs that were 4x speed and they worked great (using an Iomega Super DVD writer 16x onto Sony DVD+R). I bought a whole bunch of DVD+Rs (a 50 pack) at 8x recording speed and I get skips or pauses in the playback on multiple players.

Is it the recording speed? I read another recent thread about this. If the DVD writer is compatible with 16x recording on DVD+R and burn to a 8x DVD+R, I would think it should work. If it is the speed, what causes the problems? Also, is there any difference in performance between DVD-R and DVD+R?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

2. jfk329

jfk329 Guest

You are correct. Speed is a issue. In my exp 4x or slower produces the best results. I have +R burner so thats all ive ever used.

jfk

3. joeb4

joeb4 Member

I have the same problem. DVD's burn fine and look good on the computer. When I play them on my dvd players, which will read +R's, they will skip and eventually freeze. I am using DEC. and Shrink, and burning with Nero. Thanks for your help.
    Joe

4. jfk329

jfk329 Guest

joeb, How much compression are you getting w/ DVD Shrink? Are you doing a full disc back up or just the main movie? Also what type of media(brand) are you using?

5. pat43081

pat43081 Member

Hi again. Thanks for the input. Anyone know WHY this is, that slower (eg., 4x) write speeds work better than faster (e.g., 8x)? If the writer and the media are both rated for higher speeds, what's the problem? Just want to understand...

6. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Make sure your firmware is up to date on your Iomega. I bought one of their 16x drives and the firmware was behind by 3 updates. I had problems burning on Sony disks that is why I checked the firmware, I updated and had no problems after that. Also, I only burn at 4x.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  7. jfk329

jfk329 Guest

Pat,

I think that the slower the data goes the less mistakes. Kinda like driving , if you drive slower your less likely to get in a wreck.

8. joeb4

joeb4 Member

I am using Mem. and I am just burning the main title. I have a sony burner which is about 3 months old. Thanks for the reply.
    Joe

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Memorex is a bad choice for blank media at present time. Try some grade A TY, Ritek or Verbatim. That should improve your playback.

As to the speed issue, Burning dvds involves the transfer of very large amounts of data. The faster you burn the more chance that the data doesn't transfer fast enough so you end up with fragmented burns. If you have a fast and powerful PC you might get away with a higher burn speed. But why chance a defective burn for a few minutes saved.

Jerry

10. joeb4

joeb4 Member

Thanks Jerry, I will try a different media and a slower burn speed. Would I have to asjust that in Nero, Shrink, of DEC.

11. joeb4

joeb4 Member

Another question: If I burn at a slower speed, does it make any difference as to what speed media I get: 4x, 8x, or 16x. My burner is capable of 16x. What would be the recommended speed? I think that Nero goes from Max. to down to 2x as its next option.

12. jfk329

jfk329 Guest

If your going to burn a 4X get 4x (or lower). Adjust the speed in Nero. dump the memocrap. I Burn at 4X. and it seems to work for me. have fun.

13. joeb4

joeb4 Member

Thanks JFK, what media and speed do you use?

14. jfk329

jfk329 Guest

Joeb ,

I use either Verbatim or Sony. stay away from any media that says made in Tawian. Look for made in Japan. I burn at 4x. It just seems to work for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2005
  15. joeb4

joeb4 Member

Thanks,
    If I am using Shrink, DEC. and buring with NERO from Shrink, how do I lower the burn rate? If I return to Nero it is at Max.
    Thanks again