1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R burns Successful but doesn't play

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by 1Imation, Aug 3, 2003.

1. 1Imation

1Imation Guest

I just added a Sony DRU-510a DVD+-RW/+-R/CD burner to my system and purchased DVD X COPY 1.5.2 version. I tried to back up 3 DVD I have for the first time. DVD X COPY sez it was successful when I go to play them in my RCA DVD player the unit starts up like it going to play, the DVD-BACKUP logo comes up on the TV, then a 1 shows on the players screen and the player shuts down and will not play the DVD's. If I open up the copy DVD with Windows Explorer and look at it I have 2 folders audio_ts which is empty and Video_ts which has bunch of files and a txt file stating that I made the copy for my use. The original DVD in Explorer has 3 folders; Common, Video_ts, Win, plus these files Autorun.inf, Disc.id, install.exe, Readme.txt Why didn't DVD X COPY back up everything and I suspect that since the Audio_ts is blank that I don"t have any audio files? Any idea what going on and how to correct it.... First time user Newbie
    thanks all....

2. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

This is the exact reason why I don't use DVD XCopy. The copies it produces won't play on my RCA DVD player either. I use the following instead:

DVD Decrypter to rip
    DVD2one to compress
    RecordNow to burn http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/recordnowmax.htm

There's a guide in my signature.

3. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Only the files in the Video_TS folder are the relavent ones for you DVD player to play the movie. The other files are program files that get installed on you computer for web host, games, ete. DVDXcopy will only look at the Video folder as those are relavent to back up the movie. To backup the other files, copy them off the disc and burn them seperately to the disc in Nero.
    The problem with the play is DVDxcopy may have miss juged the opening track file. Try hiting the advance arrows (to the next track) when you play the DVD. See if that allows for it to be played. If that works, to solve the problem set in DVDxcopy to play with movie leaving the menu. Then it will auto play the movie and not get mixed up on track numbers.
    I am a fan of DVDxcopy but it does have it quirks.

4. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Prisoner, I've tried eveything within DVD Xcopy. Bottom line is the backups will not play in an RCA stand alone DVD player.

The exact same thing happens to me as 1Imation, I get the warning, sometimes the first 1 or 2 seconds, then the DVD player shuts off.

5. 1Imation

1Imation Guest

Prisoner; Ken0042 thanks.. for the reply... the advance arrow has no effect on the playing off the DVD. the player will not advance from the 1 that it shows and shuts off at. Ken tell me more about what your using to copy dvd?? to play on your RCA player??

6. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Do you know some one else with a DVD player or have an other stand alone? In Canada I have a few friends with RCA DVD players that they bought for $80, but can only play stamped discs. If possible see if the disc plays in an other Stand alone. But since you did get the DVDxcopy logo, I thought it should be ok. As they just get eroor 19 with out anything playing at all and it would not reconize Non stamped discs.
    For alternatives, Decrypter and DVDshrink are Freeware that can be downloaded here. Also there are many guide on how to use the method Ken0042 lists in his first comment. You can test DVDshrink in place of DVD2One as it is Freeware.

7. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Prisoner, my DVD Xcopy discs play just fine in my Panasonic stand alone. I've also used them in the Sony and JVC stand alones we have at work, so it's definitely an RCA thing.

A funny thing, when I worked at an electronics store a few years ago we were all given free RCA DVD players as a bonus from RCA. After that, almost none of us sold any RCA stuff because of how crappy these DVD players were. If a stamped disc is at all scratched, it will skip like there's no tomorrow.

I now use the player as my "test machine" when I make DVD's for other people. As some of you may know, I bought a stand alone DVD recorder for transfering VHS to DVD. (weddings, etc.) If it plays in my RCA, then almost anything else will play it.

Now back to 1Imation's question...... As Prisoner pointed out DVD Shrink is free, and I have used it; it's a good little program. I still prefer my DVD2one method, but chosing between the two is like Coke and Pepsi; it's a matter of personal taste.

Quick guide:
    DVD Decrypter to rip; select every file. Usually it's OK, but once it missed a file. (I made a coaster backing up Zoolander)
    DVD2one; select "movie only" mode, then select the longest part, and for audio select either 5.1 or 2.0 Dolby Digital. 5.1 will still play on a stereo 2 channel system
    Put all of the files DVD2one makes into a folder called VIDEO_TS (spelled exactly as I spelled it; with caps and the underscore.)
    Also make a blank AUDIO_TS folder. (not always needed on the RCA, but do it anyways.)
    Use RecordNow to burn these onto a DVD using "Data Disk" option. Do not use the wizard! http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/recordnowmax.htm

Happy burning!

8. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

The burning program is also a matter of taste. A Nero trial version you can download for free and it has the option of burning DVD video discs which sets up the Video and Audio folders for you. All you need to do in that case is copy all your DVD2One or DVDShrink files into the Video folder and burn away. Ken0042 have you tried this method with Nero? If so did it work on the RCA player? I have heard that for some people using DVD video disc method in Nero was problematic, but worked when done through DVD data disc and making the folders. I use vesion 5.5.10.20 and have not upgraded as using DVD video disc method has always worked. Curious if you have tried this and if successful.

9. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

I haven't tried Nero. I used RecordNow because it was recommended to me; and it plays well with Roxio on my computer. And it hasn't let me down so far; so I guess if it's not broken there's no point in fixing it. :)

I might throw it on next time I rebuild my computer (which will be soon.) Right now I have my PC set for dual boot Win98/2000. I think I'll add XP to the mix next time because I seem to be supporting more people with XP lately. I was thinking of putting Nero on the XP partition.

10. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

What do yo mean plays well with Roxio?
    My system came with DragN'Drop for DVD burning. After using it for a bit I ran out and bought Roxio6. That I love but can't burn Disc at Once in the Classic burning mode. So then I got Nero. The upgrade version 5.5.10.20 worked so I haven't upgraded since. Now I could upgrade to 5.5.10.42, but I don't chance it. Glad to see another Canadian on the site. It was hard to get Nero in Canada, only one store on College street in Toronto Carried it. I haven't tried Record now Max, but some do rave about it. If you do install Nero on the XP partion, I would be curious if your discs work on the RCA. _X_X_X_X_X_[small]I am not a number
    I am a Free Man[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2003
  11. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

By play well together I mean just that neither seems to conflict with each other. I found that Roxio 5 and Nero didn't like being installed on the same computer.

I'll keep you posted on my results.

12. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

I have Roxio 5, Nero 6, and RecordNow Max, installed in my computer and the all co exist well in my current environment. I only use Nero or Recordnow Max for burning Dvd's tho...and so far no problems._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Just another lonely Hawaiian with:
    P4 2.66Ghz, 120gb HD (7200rpm)
    2X512mb DDR333 (PC2700) SDRAM
    Sony DVD RW DW-U12A(OEM for DRU500AX)
    DXCxpress 3.01
    Smartipper/DvdDecrypter
    Dvd2one/Nero 6 Ultra[/small]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2003
  13. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

If ther eis one program i hate, its Roxio recording suite. Ugh

14. 1Imation

1Imation Guest

Prisoner and Ken 0042 thank you both I tried the DVD X copy made in my Sansui and it plays there fine.... I just Fired off E-mail to studio321 support and will call them tomorrow or next day... to see what they say... Ken0042 does Record Now play back on your RCA okay?? I may be taking DVD X COPY back to Best BUY?? $99.00 isn't cheap and it's the old version 1.5.2 Gold is out now.

15. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

As I've said I've burned 300 odd discs with RecordNow. Total of 2 coasters. One was DVD Decrypter's fault. The other one I blame on cheap media; it won't play well in 6 different stand alones.

Every disc gets tested in the RCA; partly because I know it's fussy, partly because it's in the same room as my burner.

16. 1Imation

1Imation Guest

Ken0042 thank you for all your help from the reply I got from 321 I'll ,be taking it back to Best Buy with their E-mail... thanks everone else for their thoughs as well Ken0042 I will see if they carry Record Now Max... at Best Buy....

Many of the RCA players to have problems recognizing created DVDs. We
    currently have no release date for any possible fix for this problem.

Thank you for contacting 321 Studios.

JC
    Technical Support
    321 Studios

-----Original Message-----

To: Tech Support
    Subject: DVD X BACKUP will not play on RCA DVD Player

I just recently purchased the DVD X COPY program from Best Buy and have

tried to burn 3 DVD's Backups but they will not play on my RCA Player..... What is the problem? They say they were burned successful.... yet will not play and the player shuts off. I'm not the
    only one in the forum that is having this problems with RCA and DVD X COPY non-compatibility.

17. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Glad we got it worked out. Also good to see the 321 is going to do the right thing.