1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R Movie only problems

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by peakey, Jan 13, 2003.

1. peakey

peakey Member

Hi all,

I am trying to rip a couple of my own DVD's to DVD-R, just the movie, and having loads of problems. Any help would be appreciated.

I followed a guide in this forum but just cant get the thing to play on my home DVD player, it does play on my PC however.

I am extracting the main movie VOB files (Using DVD Decrypter 3.1.4.0) then using IFO Edit (0.95) I open up the VTS_01_0.IFO file, click the VOB_EXTRAS button and have strip streams/split to 2 DVD-R's not clicked (Movie is small enough) then click on ok and it goes off and creates a new set of VIDEO_TS files and a new title set ifo, all in a new directory.
    I then copy the VOB files to the new directory and re-name is required (eg 04 to 01) and then open IFOEdit on the new title set ifo and pres the GET VTS SECTORS button. I say no to loading all the ifos and yes to saving the BUP file.

I then load up NERO and select the DVD UDF/ISO Compilation and drag the new VIDEO_TS folder over to the disc and burn.

The result is a movie that will play on my PC but not in my DVD player. I have tried this on a few movies but the result is the same.
    I hav also tried buring the disc as a DVD-Video in NERO and dragging the files into the VIDEO_TS folder but I always get an error in NERO saying that the disc may not work, does everyone get this ?

If anyone can see a problem with what I am doing them please help me !!!

2. menmaddi

menmaddi Regular member

peakey,

1. When you rip the movie files make sure to include VIDEO_TS.VOB and .BUP as well as the main movie .IFO and .BUP files.

2.If the movie files are small enogh to fit on one disc (4.37G), then you don't need to do any further .Vob editing. (IE VOB_EXTRAS) You also don't need new VIDEO_TS files???

3. You don't need to rename the files be they vts_1 or vts_32. You do need to check for any precommands if all you are keeping is the movie.

4.You do need to open the VIDEO_TS.IFO and select 'get vts sectors', then select ok to all pop ups. In other words, you are telling Ifoedit to change all sectors in all files so your movie will play on your home DVD player.

5. Nero is picky sometimes. I've had the app give me that error when I was SURE that everthing was ok, so I burned anyway and it played fine. Other times, Nero was right. So if I get that error but can't find a problem, I burn to a RW just to check.

Good Luck

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

When I am stripping the movie I have Strip Streams, Strip VobID's, Correct Vob-Unit Pointers, Correct original IFO filesand Create New IFO files checked. I got this from the guide at http://www.doom9.org

4. peakey

peakey Member

Sorry but can you please explain what you mean by checking for the pre-commands. I assume you mean opening up the title set ifo but I'm not 100% on the process that is required.

Thanks

5. menmaddi

menmaddi Regular member

vurbal,

I believe he said that the movie files are small enough to fit on one DVD-R. Therefore, no stripping is required.

peakey,

Open VIDEO_TS.IFO. Click VMGM_MAT. This will show a + beside it. Open that and you'll see 'first play PGC'. Click on that and scroll down until you see 'precommands'. By right clicking on the first precommand you can edit it. This allows you to tell the DVD-R to jump directly to ant title or menu you want. This is a useful tool to overcome certain programmer hijinx on some DVDs. So, if your movie vts happens to be...17, you don't have to rename them.

6. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Ahh, I see now menmaddi. You're right, stripping isn't necessary here, just fixing the main IFO.

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

IF you have a disc that is already below 4.37Gb(before ripping ie dvd5 single layer).
    u can use dvd decryptor in ISO mode on read then burn back the ISO image in one program.

Do not know whether u know this already so forgive if me if I am telling u to 'suck eggs'

8. peakey

peakey Member

Tried changing the PGC to '(Jump_TT) Jump to Title' and selected the relevant title (Only one on there) but without doing the other stuff it wont even play on my PC now !! Can one of you take a look at the following guide and let me know if that should work and if not, what I should I change:

http://heaven.earthlights.net/dvd/guides/dvd_howtos_menu6.htm

Cheers

9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

What exactly r u trying to do?
    DVD5 or DVD9?
    What do u want to keep?
    Do u want to re-encode?

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Think about this logically.

A dvd5 (ie single layer) u can use dvd decryptor to make an image and burn NO STRIPPING necessary.ISO MODE

If it is a dvd9 (ie dual layer) it will contain the movie/audio languages/subtitles/menus/extras.

NOW if the dvd9 (probably is larger than 4.4Gb)
    u need to strip out OR re-encode.

I have not re-encoded yet as my machine is low spec. so I strip it to it's bare bones JUST the movie,like this.

dvd decryptor in file mode on defaults.
    let it select the main movie files.Check which ifo for the VTS_xxx. and note.
    press ctrl and A to select WHOLE disc and rip.

Open ifoedit.
    Open the ifo u noted earlier.
    Check on the menu WHICH VOB ID IT USES.and note.
    Select VOB EXTRAS
    CHECK strip streams.
    CHECK strip vob id's
    CHECK correct vob pointers
    CHECK alter ifo's
    CHECK create new ifo's/ etc.
    (everything on the left except remux and 2 dvd's)

Choose which directory etc.
    Then choose strip.
    I big menu should now appear displaying all audio and subtitles.
    CHECK ONLY WHAT U WANT TO KEEP. ie audio ac3 0x80 and maybe a subtitle(I just have 1 audio)
    Then select strip.
    U then have another menu showing VOB ID'S.
    CHECK THE VOB ID/S U NOTED EARLIER.
    select strip.
    Ifoedit will now do its thing and ur left with a message box VOB Pointers corrected or similar.

Then close ifoedit.
    Reopen ifoedit select open, and open ur new dir/video_ts ifo file and hit get vts'sectors' and just exit.
    Reopen again and open the 'vts' ifo and hit 'get vts sectors' it should not get anything which means everything is done.

U can then burn back using nero UDF/ISO v 1.02 but be warned nero does not ALWAYS work.

I have also had compatibility issues where they play in ps2/pc/2 of my standalones but not my third.
    I tried burning with just the UDF option and it worked.
    Just make sure u create the video_ts folder and drag the completed movie vobs etc into it ,then drag the video_ts into the window.

This may or may not work because nero is funny at closing down discs especially rw.

Sorry my method is not clear but in that mess u may pull something out useful.

11. menmaddi

menmaddi Regular member

peakey,

I read your link and seems like there is an awful lot of extra steps that you don't need to do. Sounds like the movie files you are ripping are small enough to fit on one disc.

DVDdecrypter in 'File' mode. Rip all movie files including .BUP. Also rip VIDEO_TS.VOB, .IFO and . BUP.

Checkthe resulting folder. If it is less than 4.37G then start Ifoedit. Open VIDEO_TS.IFO and click 'get vts sectors'.

That's it. You don't HAVE to do anything else. You CAN choose to remove user pup's and you may need to remove region code(depending on where you are). Check the first play pgc like I said earlier. The movie may play fine just the way it is, but, sometimes you'll need to change the precommand. I usually make it jump to the Title that corresponds to the movie vts. Usually it's Title 1. Sometimes programmers change things up to make this game interesting.

Now you several options to burn. If you like Nero, use the wizard and click DVD video, compile a new DVD, other DVD formats, DVD video.
    Drag all your files into the VIDEO_TS folder and burn away.

Keep in mind, this a starting point. ALL movies are different, as they are made by different companies by different people.

12. peakey

peakey Member

I have now managed to burn a few movies, I'll just stick to the smaller ones for now and experiment with menus and the like to get used to all the different options.

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone ..

13. sublime77

sublime77 Member

menmaddi,

When burning just a movie without a menu, is it required to have: VIDEO_TS.VOB? I only keep that file when I keep the menu and VTS_01_0.VOB file.

14. menmaddi

menmaddi Regular member

It depends on the movie. I've seen a couple of movies that don't have a VIDEO_TS.VOB file. If its working for you, stick with it. Don't be suprised if you run into one that won't play without the file or some editing of the precommands.