1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R or CD-R, knowing which one to use and when.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ghedd, Jan 23, 2005.

1. ghedd

ghedd Guest

When downloading various movies and burning them (I have Nero) how do you differentiate when you're supposed to use a DVD-R or a CD-R ?

For example, when I burned something yesterday (vob files, etc) I used DVD-R disc and it was around 4 gigs. When I burned something this morning (cue and bin file) I had to use a CD-R (only knew this because Nero wouldn't accept my DVD-R file.) The quality was waaay down (Coach Carter) vs my burn yesterday of The Forgotten (excellent quality).

Thanks...

Gerald

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Quality also goes to format. VCD and SVCD don't compare to DVD. DVD is the MPEG2. You can check a bunch of this out in the glossary. Your Video_TS folders with VOB and IFO files will be on DVD and be big files. ISO images for video also go to DVD. ISO is just one huge file with everything in it. You can just about bet a video file with several GB is a DVD. The VCD or SVCD are DivX and other formats and smaller content; usually 1 to 2 700MB CDs. As you found out, the software will usually correct you if you try to use the wrong format media.