1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+-R PLAYBACK on Sony 5 Disc Changer

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ima49311, Feb 23, 2005.

1. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

Ok, here is my problem and question...

I have been backing up my dvds for some time now. I used to do it on a P4 1.4ghz, 640MB RAM computer, Emprex 8x, and mostly play them in a crappy Apex dvd player i got for free thru a raffle. Never had any problems. Now, since i moved, i have a new computer and i burn them on a P4 2.5ghz, 1GB RAM computer, same burner, and play them on my new SONY 5 Disc Changer player (DVP-NC675P) i just bought and also my girlfriends single Sony player as well sometimes. The software i use is DVD Decrypter, DVD2One, & Nero.

Since i have changed over to my new Sony players, i am getting the worse playback with my backups. The color shifts, sometimes it skips ahead, sometimes it skips back, sometimes i get a dirty disc error.

My question is has anyone else had this kind of problem with Sony DVD players.. i thought it was the discs i was using (GQ + & - and TEON + & -), but i switched back to memorex discs that i used when i first started backing up and it still seems to do it (altho not as much). I also went back to burning at 4x instead of 8x since i read that higher speeds create more errors..

I have a hard time believing that an Apex dvd player is better than a Sony player.. could it be i have a faulty player perhaps?

Any help on this would be most appreciated. Thanks ahead of time...1

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  2. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

I know I have to use a Coby player real simple system as my GE 3 disc changer has probs with my dvd'rs.

3. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

All that media you mentioned has issues. I would buy some discs that are recommended for quality. Sony, Maxell, or any discs that are made in japan. Not memorex. I would test the discs that are causing problems on different brands of players, though I think it is the discs.

4. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

ok, but heres the thing.. why would it have issues with Sony and not emprex.. ive even seen one of my backups play fine on a JVC changer but skip all to hell on my new Sony? and that was on a TEON disc i believe.. so should i return my SONY and get another brand... hows Panasonic as far as playing burnt movies? can anyone recommend a differnt brand.. thanks again.

5. swervin

swervin Regular member

I have a 665P Sony changer. I've had no trouble at all with any of my burns, although I haven't used any +R disks. I love the Maxell -R's yellow tops. They code out to be Ritek G04, Taiyo Yuden TYG01 or Maxell MXL RG02 disks. I would keep the Sony changer if I were you and try better disks, maybe even give -R's a shot. Memorex disks are coaster material in my opinion. I don't believe the Teon's are much better. Just because you once got them to burn and play properly don't mean they always will. These companies use whoever is cheapest to make their disks for them. As we always know, cheaper isn't always better.

Mike

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

yeah I would agree with everyone here it is more than likely the media you are using. Every brand you mentioned is junk. Also not to many people have good results with the Sony 5 disk changers. The best players for playing everything and anything are ushually the cheapest ones you can buy at WalMart like Apex, Colby, ect.... My single disk Sony plays -R fine but sometimes has problems with +R. My Samsung cheap DVD standalone recorder plays anything I throw in it.My RCA has no problems either, but my daughters cheap Apex plays everything including DivX :) and it only cost $40...

By the way no double posting ;-)
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/162424

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005