1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem DVD-R Problem (Only Shows 59 Minutes)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Cryptic66, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Cryptic66

Cryptic66 Member

I haven't been here in awhile, but I remember last time I was here someone definitely solved the problem I had.
    I'm having a different problem now, and I've tried several different methods, I'm lost though.
    Anyway,
    I just got a bunch of really good quality Commander USA DVD-R's in and quite a few of them have some serious problems.
    It seems like when the original DVD's are playing they will play all the way through, but when I copy the discs (yes, even image copy), they stop playing around an hour (58 to 59 minutes).
    The DVD's are all 2 hours long, SP Mode and the menus on each disc state that they're 2 hours long.
    But when I'm watching the DVD's the DVD player only detects 58 to 59 minutes.
    Here's an example of what I'm talking about, this is a picture of my TV that shows the menu:

[​IMG]

And here's my Sony Blu-Ray player that says it only detects 59:04 of the video:

[​IMG]

I would like to be able to fix this, the original DVD's aren't mine, I have to send them back to my friend after I copy them (that is if I can even copy them).
    I've tried them out on 5 different DVD/Blu-Ray players, they're all the same.
    I definitely DON'T want to alter the original DVD menu in any way, but I want to copy these discs and have them actually work.
    DVD Shrink won't detect the other half of the video, and I get the same results with DVD Decrypter and AnyDVD.
    Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?
    Why will the original DVD-R play (even after the 59 minute mark), but when I copy the DVD it stops right there?
    I probably have 12 or 13 DVD's that are like this, and they're ALL kick ass movies with the original commercials and everything, excellent quality.
    I was really disappointed when I saw these wouldn't copy.
    It looks like they are all done with the same DVD Recorder, and it's the same brand that I have (mine is a Magnavox with a built-in VCR).
    I thought about copying the DVD's to a DVD-RW and trying to edit them on my DVD Recorder (after unfinalizing them), but it seems like that wouldn't work because as soon as the discs are copied the other half somehow disappears.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Rip all source dvd to hard drive using no compresssion with anydvd or dvd fab 8 or 9.
    Check all of them play all the way through.
    Use vlc or klite slider to save time by manually fast forwarding with mouse dragging.
    Ripping to hdd solves issue of returning the dvd back to owner & leaves you with the files required.
    I assume all files are ripped,this leaves editing the crap by removing it all with clonedvd or dvdfab, i.e trailers,FBI warnings etc
    At this point to get a movie to fit especially a direct copy it will require compression,personally i would rip the movie only,then use dvdshrink & trim front & end credits then burn with least amount of compression (doing so increases the quality),this also includes increasing the size of dvd 5 from the standard 4300mb to 4485 by using custom output size setting .All the other junk you want to keep can be left in the folder & stored on an hdd or burnt to another dvd.
    You should invest in dvd-rw at least a couple as these can be re-used when testing if things go wrong

using dvd-rw until its sorted is best unless you want to create even more coasters.
    However you have not mentioned if you have manually opened the faulty dvd's & checked them with the computer,as all the vobs should be there,unless the dvd's you burned are shite quality & you ignored overburn warning

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  3. Cryptic66

Cryptic66 Member

Yes I have ripped the DVD's to my hard drive in separate folders.
    Some of them will let me view the individual VOB files, and everything is there on the DVD's that will let me, but there's a couple that won't work. They let me view the first couple VOB files but not the last two.
    I probably should mention that these are not official DVD's, this was an old TV show that aired in the 80's on USA Network called Commander USA. He was a movie host, and he would play a mixture of horror films, Godzilla movies and Kung-Fu movies.
    These DVD's are just copied from old VHS tapes using a standalone DVD Recorder.
    If I had the original tapes I could just re-do everything myself, but unfortunately I only have these original discs.
    The one I'm having the biggest problems with right now is Tales That Witness Madness, that's one that's playing fine on the original disc, but as soon as I copy it and play the copied DVD it stop at 59 minutes.
    I'm using PgcEdit and I noticed (on another DVD, Mausoleum), it's showing Title 1 is only 59:37, but it says Title 3 is 1:58:46 which is the correct running time.
    If I can get Title 3 to copy like Title 1, I think it will work.
    I haven't used PgcEdit in ages, so I'm very rusty (I seriously haven't had a problem like this in so long).

4. Cryptic66

Cryptic66 Member

I think I figured it out!
    All the DVD's are the same, Title 1 is only about 58 to 59 minutes long each, but Title 3 is always about 2 hours!
    So if I could somehow replace Title 1 with Title 3, it would work.
    I know I've had to do this forever ago, but I totally forgot how I did it.
    PgcEdit isn't letting me delete Title 1 or making Title 3 into Title 1.
    Does anyone have any ideas how I could do this?
    I was able to duplicate Title 3 but I don't know how to replace Title 1.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

dvdfab has the ability to remove individual titles (as can clonedvd) & fab may be able to re-arrange playback of them

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016