1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD +/- R/RW --What's the diff?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by zamalek, May 13, 2007.

1. zamalek

zamalek Member

I know this sounds sooooo green, but hey, never stop learning. I'm sure this topic had been discussed a million times. I'm new to AD and don't know how to search specific topic.

So what is the difference between:
    DVD-/DVD-RW (other than one can be re-written to it and one can't)
    DVD+/DVD+RW (same as above)?

Which are the pros/cons of each forma, and the feature of each, if my player/recorder can read and write to both?

Thanks

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

3. zamalek

zamalek Member

Thanks for the article. But is any of those formats preferred over the other, I mean minus or plus? I heard something about finalizing some before viewing and all this.

4. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Just like most vs. situations you will always have champions of one format over the other. I prefer +R for it's booktyping ability and the next 10 people to post in this thread will agree and then you will have a wave of -R warriors. One is really not any better than the other it really just comes down to personal preference. Most of the time the matter is decided on which format your standalone players prefer.

As for the finalizing, I think you are talking about RW media in a multisession environment...I really don't deal with any rewritable media so I won't comment on that.

5. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

here is even a better read on the differences between -+Rs:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/
    I know this article is technical..... but you can read just the CONCLUSIONS and see...... but the simple reason why +Rs are better than -Rs is BOOKTYPING (IMO). And you can find more about this here:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php

Also a thing to consider is how well the burn is on the disks. Each burner will like certain disks better than others. After many burns and testing out on -Rs and +Rs I found out that my drives like the +Rs better. here are some scans:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    these are typical scans showing good burns but the +R media always seems to be higher than the -R media.... and I only use the best media Made In Japan ...Taiyo Yuden! I also use Verbatim when I have to buy in the stores... Verbatim is top notch media but made in Taiwan/Singapore and is the only Non MIJ that I will allow near my burner.

So as my buddy, LOCOENG, pointed out..... that many members have their own experiences and opinions on what is best out there (-R vs +R) one thing holds true.... use quality media Made in Japan.... and you can't go wrong!

As far as finalizing your disk....... that is for the RW (rewrite ables). You finalize the disk and end the session and closes the disk for use. After which you can insert the disk into a CD/DVD drive or player for use. This is done by the software when burning in the first place.

6. colw

colw Active member

Just to be different - my preference is -R. It is the original and offical DVD format.

7. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I know that the -R format is original but I don't think it's THE OFFICIAL format........ the +R format is also up to DVD standards as set by industry. So I don't think that the -Rs are THE OFFICIAL format! If that was the case they would say so on the box or spindle and also it would state some kind of warning on the +R box or spindles saying that this is really not the typical media as used by the industry.

8. colw

colw Active member

9. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

The DVD logo is sanctioned by the DVD Forum, the official standards committee for DVDs. That logo appears on DVDs, DVD players, and DVD drives that meet the official standards. Note that the logo does not appear on any DVD+R/RW media. That's because the DVD+RW Alliance broke away from the DVD Forum group over the restrictions of sequential video recording required by the DVD-RW disc.

HD DVD is another format approved by the DVD Forum. Blu-Ray is not sanctioned by the DVD Forum. The politics behind these formats often ends up hurting consumers and making a mess of optical recording. It is one of the reasons why many non-Japanese discs do not work as well as Japanese discs in optical recording drives.