1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R won't work on my PS2

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by A-Razz, Sep 30, 2003.

1. A-Razz

A-Razz Member

I created a DVD backup using IFO edit, DVD Shrink and burned it onto a DVD-R CloneDisc (Ritek) using Nero 5.5.10.28 and it doesn’t work on my PS2.

What could the problem be?

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Why did you use Ifoedit?, as Dvd Shrink could handle the whole thing except burning.....

I don't think it'll be the media as they are a known solid brand....

Have you put ALL the files created by Dvd Shrink into a folder called VIDEO_TS (must be in uppercase letters) ?

Could be your method - post your method including settings etc?

Try the following guide for Nero - http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/nero.htm

Any Q's, just let me know......_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[/small]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2003
  3. koola

koola Guest

If the DVD size is below 4.7GB, then use CloneDVD and choose the option [bold]Copy Whole DVD[/bold].

Prob solved! :D

4. A-Razz

A-Razz Member

baabaa
    I used IFOedit to create DVD-Compliant files.

I used that guide at http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/nero.htm and I followed it as closely as possible but my version of Nero must be different to that one, I didn’t have a UDF tab on my Nero described in that guide.

Koola the DVD size is not below 4.7GB.

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Hmmmm, you should have had the UDF option within Nero - tell me EXACTLY your method?

Dvd Shrink would produce Dvd compliant files, these files NEED to be placed into a folder called VIDEO_TS (in uppercase)..did you do this as this is VERY important?

The VIDEO_TS folder then just needs to be added to your compilation within Nero either using (preferred option) UDF/ISO or failing that the UDF ONLY option.....

Also the the NO multisession NEEDS to be checked.....

Does the disc work in your PC and another standalone player?

Could you list the folder and ALL the files that you burned onto the disc?

6. A-Razz

A-Razz Member

My method was exactly the same as that in the 'http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/nero.htm' guide, apart from the UDF option part. NO multisession was checked.
    I did use the VIDEO_TS folder.
    The DVD works on my PC. I don't have a standalone i just use the PS2 to play my DVDs.

The folder and ALL the files that I burned onto the disc are;
    VIDEO_TS folder;
    Video.ts.bup
    Video.ts
    Vts_01_0.bup
    Vts_01_0
    Vts_01_1
    Vts_01_2
    Vts_01_3
    Vts_01_4
    Vts_02_.bup
    Vts_02_0
    Vts_02_1

The '_02' files are an extra that starts after the main movie (its works on the PC).

7. joblow

joblow Guest

Why don't you use RecordNow DX instead of Nero.
    Nero=CRAP!!!
    With RecordNow you don't have to mess your mind with UDF/ISO etc...
    RecordNow will make your DVD-R more compatibles on a wider range of dvd players including ps2.

8. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Firstly, using alternate software maybe the answer, but lets try and sort this.....first

I think you need to get Ifoedit out of the loop, drop that program, I cannot see why it was needed.

Follow the guide for Dvd Shrink at http://www.chrismccann.co.uk and then retry.

Your file list - have you missed off the extensions on the other files on purpose OR are these EAXCTLY what is on the disc?

(ie, you should have files on there - BUP/IFO and VOB)

If these are the EXACT files I can see your problem....

I take it you are using the UDF/ISO option within Nero then?

For my money (upto you) you could drop the extras bit and save space...

Have you successfully done any previous to this?

9. A-Razz

A-Razz Member

I haven’t successfully done any previous to this. This was actually my first DVD backup apart from experimenting using a DVD-RW (Datawrite), which also didn’t work on PS2, but I thought that would just be a media issue.

So I’ll try it without using IFOedit. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the help.

10. mastaprk

mastaprk Regular member

What format are you burning in? For the best PS2 results, I have heard that + is more compatible.

11. joblow

joblow Guest

Why are yu using IFOEDIT, you really don't need it if you are using DVDShrink. Also try to download the trial version of RecordNowMax DX and burn your VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder that you build with DVDshrink. Beleive me NERO are crap compare to RecordNow DX.

12. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

For one -R is more compatable than +R in PS2. Secondly, I use dvd shrink and the Nero Wizard to create my dvd's and they work every time in my version 4 PS2._X_X_X_X_X_[small]V4 PS2, flip top, SMD, CDLoader
    Pioneer 105, Memorex 4X DVD-R
    DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, Nero[/small]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2003
  13. A-Razz

A-Razz Member

OK I had to wait until my -RW CloneDisc (Ritek) arrived before I could try out the method without using IFOedit (and not wasting any more blank –r discs). This is what I did:

I used DVD shrink to rip and re-author using this guide: http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/DVD_Shrink_v3_beta5.htm

Then I burned the DVD using Nero 5.5.10.28 and this guide: http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/nero.htm

The DVD produced still doesn’t work on my PS2.

What do you think the problem could be now?
    Could it be my version of PS2? I think its a pretty old one, not sure what version, how do I tell?

The reason I was using IFOedit before was to remove some unwanted extras and keep the menus.
    I couldn’t do that with DVD shrink. Is there a version of DVD shrink that will allow me to copy menus into the re-author window? (Or any other software that will do the same thing).

Last edited: Oct 11, 2003
  14. BradleyB

BradleyB Member

#1 DVD shrink does allow you to eliminate all and ever extra you want //it may still show as an extra-however (with the extra highlighted on the left) you can shrink these with the bar at the top to the point that the size they require on the disk is almost irrelevant
    #2 reduce the size of the dvd to about 4.0 (this allows for any overburn)you probably won't see any difference in picture quality..and if it works //erase and bump it up a notch (POW)
    #3 gotta Gotta GOTTA get a name brand stand alone to test these discs in //cheap ones will run everything -even unauthored lead-ins--a name brand ($150) will discern //don't buy necc. but find friend to check your authored DVD//If it works there,The PS2 has the problem///make sense///if doesn't //your doing something wrong
    #4 use of nero to burn inside the "dvd_video"window while pushing the "shrink files"to the Video TS folder has worked on over ---well lets not say--backups for me ///on CHEAP media//played on SONY 300 Disc DVD///this player doesn't like ANY errors///E-Mail me with other concerns bradleybbb@direcway.com
    nero : 6.0.19
    dvd shrink : 3.0 beta 5

if options are not showing inside nero that others say they have //prob. got a cheap drive in the computer...sorry
    with the latest nero 6.0 you can choose "DVD" and toggle "expert" ode and run a system test //this test will tell you everything your reader and writer is capble of producing (file format,media types,RAW DAO...etc

Last edited: Oct 11, 2003
  15. A-Razz

A-Razz Member

Thanks for that DVD Shrink info BradlyB

I’ve tried all the DVD backups I’ve made on a friends DVD player (Phillips) and they all work.

I am able to play copied DVDs on my PS2. Just not the ones I make. The ones I can play are copied DVDs I brought from abroad, DVD5 and DVD9 (cost just over £1 each).

and also JOBLOW where can i get this trial version of RecordNowMax DX?

16. koola

koola Guest

£1 each, where did you get them from or will my computer self destruct if you post the answer?

17. A-Razz

A-Razz Member

From Pakistan. I think there made in the Far East because one of them has jap subtitles as default on it. Real DVD9 with extras, some screener versions before release date (I had 8 mile before it was released in cinemas in the UK). Plus VCDs for 50p (2 CDs).

18. koola

koola Guest

Cool!

19. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Im sorry, i havent read anything in this bar the first comment. Just inputting that only version 4 and above will read DVD+R and versions before 4 may not read -R that well.