1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd rom drive disappeared... please help...

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by TuVan, Dec 29, 2004.

1. TuVan

TuVan Member

i justs got the laptop couples months, and somehow i got the spyware or even some kind virus in my laptop, so i tried to uninstall all the softwares that i installed in to the laptop when i got it, and somehow the next day when i turned on the laptop, the dvd drives disappeared, i tried to fix, reboot and none of them helped... i don't really know wat happened, all i got is this message: " Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" and i believed one of the file for the driver was missing and the file is: iviaspi.sys ... do anyknow how i can fix the dvd drive? and how to find that file, i jus knew that the file is provided by InterVideo version 1,0,0,0. please help me... thank you so much

2. moon118

moon118 Member

u should try downloading new drivers. or use system restore if u have winxp and have it enabled, but that can possibly make ur notebook a little glitchy. or maybe u could look for iviaspi.sys on google and put that file in drive:\windows\system\ and/or drive:\windows\system32.

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

The computer should have come with a restore cd. As a last resort it can be used to put the computer back to the way it was when purchased. The only problem with this is you will loose all programs you installed after receiving it but everything that was on it when purchased will be restored like new.

Jerry

4. TuVan

TuVan Member

thank you for your help... yeah i tried to find the iviaspi.sys online but i couldn't, i want to used them to put my computer back to the way it was when purchased,yes The computer comes with a restore cd. but the thing that i don't have CD Rom drive to open those CDs, in other hand i don't know much stuff about computer so even i have the CD drive i don't know how to restored it like new, i don't know what to do, i don't care about losing the programs... can you tell me what to do? thank you so much

5. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Do you play cds or whatch dvds with you laptop? If yes then you have a CD/DVD-ROM.

I don't know how many system restore cd's you got but theyn should be labeled like CD1 CD2 CD3 etc. of corse labeled "Restore Disc" or somthin :)

Put the first sytem restore cd in (CD1) your CD/DVD-ROM drive then restart your laptop, from there your laptop will start to restore its self and reformat (back to the way it was when purchased). Then after CD1 is finished it'll ask for CD2 and so on, when its all done you will be back to new.

6. moon118

moon118 Member

the best option would be to use the system restore utility that comes with windows xp. Go to Run prompt and type in restore\rstrui.exe and it should bring you to the program. with this, you can rollback your computer settings to a date where your computer settings were last working properly.

7. booneyrat

booneyrat Guest

You might try disk manager if you have XP.

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

As geestar20 stated, I can't believe that a laptop a few months old doesn't have some sort of optical drive. They had to load the original system from somewhere. If you have a CD or dvd drive in it, just insert the RESTORE CD and it should start automatically and load the programs for you.

Jerry

9. TuVan

TuVan Member

oh... my laptop has both CD and DVD rom drive, it was just that i uninstall the Roxio Copy and creat CD software in my laptop and things happened, somehow the icon of the CD/DVD Rom drive disappeared ( u know the icon like C:, D:, E: drive or device in My computer folder) and i couldn't open any CD or DVDs, i tried to find the icon or the Cd device every where in the computer but i couldn't... but now i found out the solution, and i got back the CD device, i also reformatted the computer, now it is just like new, and i'm really happy, thank you so much for all your help. Happy new year. again thank you

10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Glad you got it straightened out. Happy New Year to you also.

Jerry

11. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Right on -TuVan- Some programs can conflict with eachother and cause all kinds of boogers with computers, and Roxio causes the most problems.

12. MrReddy

MrReddy Member

Hi Tuvan .. Did you find solution to your DVD-ROM problem. I had the same problem and will be glad if you can help me out.

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

14. TuVan

TuVan Member

hey.. sorry last time i was typing the direction to help pthen i got disconnect and i thought i gonna do it later but then i forgot... really sorry... ook here wat i did:

SYMPTOMS
    After you remove either compact disc (CD) recording software or other software from your computer, your computer may exhibit the following behavior: • In My Computer, there is no access to your CD-ROMs.
    • In Device Manager, the following error message appears in connection with any CD-ROM device that is part of your computer system:
    The device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31).
    • Device Manager displays the following error message:
    A driver for this device was not required, and has been disabled (Code 32 or Code 31).
    You may also receive an error Code 39 message that indicates that the driver is corrupted.

• Device Manager displays the following error Code 19 message, which means that the registry returned some unknown result:
    Your registry might be corrupted. (Code 19)
    • You may also receive the following error message:
    Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

RESOLUTION
    WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this behavior, follow these steps: 1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
    4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
    6. Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

7. Restart your computer.

STATUS
    This is a known issue that can occur when you remove Easy CD Creator version 5.01 or earlier or DirectCD version 3.01c or earlier. This issue may also occur with Easy CD Creator version 5.01 and with DirectCD 3.01d or later.
    MORE INFORMATION
    There may be other third-party CD-writing software products that exhibit similar behavior. Some or all of the troubleshooting steps in this article might apply if such a product also adds entries under the UpperFilters or LowerFilters value in the registry, either by adding its own filter drivers or by removing the registry keys and values outlined in this article that begin with:
    WARNING: Make sure that you perform a backup of your registry before making any changes. The third-party products that are discussed in this article are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15. TuVan

TuVan Member

16. ddp

which is the same as what i posted about microsoft

17. TuVan

TuVan Member

sorry i didnt read it... i was in a hurry...

18. ddp

don't blame you after typing out that explanation

19. TuVan

TuVan Member

don't blame you after typing out that explanation
    ???? what do u mean?

20. ddp

your long explanation on how you fixed your problem to mrreddy