1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd rom wont play r-dvds

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by blom, Dec 1, 2004.

1. blom

blom Guest

i have just had a new dvd rom installed on my pc the problem is it will play dvds(from the shop)but when i try to play a copied dvd r- the pc frezees and the drive jams the computer crashes and the only way i can turn it off is at the tower but on other ocations it will play the same disc with no problem in the same drive this will last for about a day and then reverts back to crashing the pc.the discs im using are datawrite yellow g4 and g5 dye x4 r- ridisc and the new datawrie yellows x8.im not sure what drive was instaled as it is only comming up as ide dvd rom x16.
    im using shrink and dvd decrypter
    200g seagate hd
    1024 ddr 3200 ram
    3400+ 64 amd athlon
    radeon 9800 se 256
    nec rw 2500a
    ide dvd romx16

can any help?

2. Biosgain

Biosgain Guest

Is this with both brands of dvdr?
    I have had and know other people who have had trouble with datawrite yellow g4.

3. blom

blom Guest

yes ridisc and datawrite and also the new datawrite yellow x8 which uses the new dye. im not to sure if it is a media problem im starting to think its hardware any sugestions?

4. blom

blom Guest

i think maybe your right about the g4 dye ive just tried a datawrite yellow g4 which locked and crashed the pc i reboted and tried a datawrite yellow g5dye it played straight away but im still not convinced what do you think? also the ridisc are g4 but ive tried the new ridisc x8 which is supose to be the new g5 dye (according to decrypter) that has the same effect as the datawrite g4s

5. blom

blom Guest

the pc now refuses to play any r- disk if a delete the drivers and re-instal after rebot it will play them on and off for a day.also the drive i had in before (sony) did the same.has any one got any ideas?

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Check and make sure your drive is in DMA mode.

Also how is the drive installed on your computer? example Primary, Slave, how is the jumper set, and where is it located on the IDE cable?

If you have nero you should be able to find out the brand of your drive in Nero Info Tool. This would help a lot so you could download Firmware and drivers.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

WinXP SP2
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.01GHz)
    1GB DDR 3200
    ATI All In Wonder 9600
    Burners Nec 2500A / Pioneer DVR 105

7. blom

blom Guest

dma is enabled on both drives the only infomation nero will give me on the drive is; ide dvd-rom 16x
    firmwere version 7.50 it also says it plays every disk you could think of!the drives are set as the nec as primary/master and the ide dvd-rom as seconary/slave.im not sure how to check the jumpers on the ide cable

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

:) There isn't any jumpers on IDE cables. I meant the jumpers on the Drives. What you need to do is get in your computer and see exactly what drive you have in there so we can flash your firmware ;-)

Can you browse the DVD (Not watch it just look at it threw explorer)?

Will your Writer (nec 2500) play the DVD's?

Also what operating system are you using?

What software player do you use to play the DVD?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

WinXP SP2
    1GB DDR 3200
    ATI All In Wonder 9600

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  9. blom

blom Guest

im usuing xp home with sp2 and im usig power dvd 5 and windows media player 10 the nec will play the discs fine when the disk is in the dvd rom drive some times it says no disk or it will crash the pc it wont auto play it which is enabled. i spoke to customer services about the drive and they say it is a artec dvd rom drive

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Did they give you a model number on the drive? If not it should me on the drive

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  12. blom

blom Guest

thanks for that youve been realy helpful,but its still the same! i cant understand what it is and neiter do the people at the place where i bought it there now telling me their not sure what drive is in it just what they had in stock at the time probberbly an LG

13. blom

blom Guest

can you think of anything else i could try?

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Open up your PC and pull the 2 cables attached to your Drive 1 IDE Cable and 1 power cable, and maybe a audio cable (The smallest one) Take out the 2 to 4 screws that hold your drive in place and then slimply slide your drive foward. No read the lable on the top or bottom of the drive and get the model number and make. Then put your drive back in the PC in the opposite order I just mentioned above. This whole process is very simple and should only take about 5 min to complete.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

WinXP SP2
    1GB DDR 3200
    ATI All In Wonder 9600

15. blom

blom Guest

done that the only information on the drive is

dvd-rom drive
    model no DHM-G48R
    UL TIMA electronics corp

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

17. blom

blom Guest

many thanks for your help i will give it ago

18. blom

blom Guest

that link seems to be dead so ive gone to artecs site and downloaded the files from there but im not sure how i install them

19. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hmm that link is working for me.. Copy and paste it into your address bar and try it that way

:)

bbmayo

20. blom

blom Guest

the link to the site is fine its just the link to the download as it won't download atomatacly