1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-RW won't play in DVD player but will play in Pc

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Skiwi, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Skiwi

Skiwi Guest

Hi you prob have herd this all before if so sorry but i'm at my wits end. I am trying to back up my DVD colection anyway u am using DVD Shrink 3.0 Beta 5 to crunch the movie and then using Nero 6 to burn it now here come the problem i'm using a DVD-RW to burn the movie. when finnished it works ok in my Pc but won't work in my DVD player. would someone out there tel me why that happens as i don't want to use a DVD-r untill i get it wright as they arn't cheap to buy...

Thank you

Skiwi

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

there is a guide here:

http://www.chrismccann.co.uk

but do you know your dvd player will play this type of media? as not all do !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thx...

3. Skiwi

Skiwi Guest

Thanks for the info Rotary i copied the movie as directed it copys ok but it won't automaticly open even on my Pc i have to open the program to play the movie it won't even go on my DVD player is there somthing i'm doing wrong.

Thanks

Skiwi

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

with it not automatically opening on your PC isnt to much to worry over a i get that and others! it can be the drive locks on burning then wont always unlock the drive to play straight after! if you reboot comp then load dics it will probably play!

firstly has your dvd player stand alone ever played copied dvd's? also what type? IE: dvd-r dvd+r dvd-+rw ??? as some wont!

if you followed the guide then you cant go far wrong? did you burn all in a VIDEO_TS folder to dvd-rw?

did you have bup/ifo/vobs files in the folder?

can you give more info on what you do! anything for us to go on! also the drive type you use etc...

Thx

5. Skiwi

Skiwi Guest

hi well i did what you siad and rebooted my Pc and then put the Cd back in and all that happend was Nero 6 poped up ready to do somthing. My stand alone DVD is an Auriga and yes it does play copys as i get cd's that a copys from over in Asia if you know what i mean. My writer is a Pioneer DVR106.

Well what i did is i went to the sight www.chrismccann.co.uk and used DVD Shrink 3.0 Beta 5 and did what the user Guide said and crunch the file and then use nero 6 expres and went through the user Guide said. I had all the bup/ifo/vobs files in one folder VIDEO_TS and then did the burning. can you think of anything i did wrong.

thanks for your help

skiwi

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

ok, if nero popped up after the reboot and you putting a newly BURNT dvd you made in the drive that usally means the disc is blank !!!! i get this when i put an empty disc in the drive nero will open ready to use it and burn! so this is odd!

OK! do you have finalize session on? and NO MULTISESSION !!!?

also it could be disc media? some discs and players dont go/mix!

i would say try new media type! if it works on the pc then you are over half way there! so it has to be some like media?

or a setting some where? oh by the way i have the same drive! i use packard bell 1x dvd-rw ok! and ritek 4x unbranded!

what settings do you use in nero? UDF/ISO v1.02 or ADD-VIDEO ?

let us know....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2003
  7. Skiwi

Skiwi Guest

Me again well Rotary still no luck I though i would try something else and copy over the files of a copied dvd that i have both the VIDEO_TS and the AUDIO_TS even though it has nothing in it well the file in there was more file than the ones i get when i use dvd shrinkin the copied dvd there are 14 file

VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_4.VOB
    VTS_02_0.VOB
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    VTS_02_0.BUP
    VTS_02_1.VOB
    VIDEO_TS.VOB
    VTS_01_0.VOB
    VTS_01_3.VOB
    VTS_02_0.IFO

in the one the i used dvd shrink there are only 9 files

VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_4.VOB
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    VTS_01_3.VOB

anyway i used nero 6 and still it won't play on my stand alone dvd.
    I use UDF/ISO v1.02 on my setting
    can the cd's i use are not compatable with my dvd player i use dvd-rw and dvd-r should i try dvd+rw do u think that could work..

i do have NO MULTISESSION and i do have finalize session on it's ticked but in gray in the background. i realy appreciate you help on this...

thanks

Skiwi

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

its got to be media? try +R or even a new brand!

Thx...

9. Skiwi

Skiwi Guest

Hi there all well Rotary here is what happend thought i would change to dvd+r anyway used dvd shrink 3.0 and worked ok then use nero express 6 well here what happend when the burning finnished i put the cd back in the pc and it started greatso went to try the stand alone dvd well a funny thing happend it went (BUT) at the start i got the ending credits what was happening the movie was going backwards any clues on that anything would be a help ...

thanks

Skiwi

10. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

I have no idea? this is wierd now! see if anyone else knows anything?

So, it all worked but beit backwards!?!

odd! not known this before?

Thx...

you didnt have the stand alone to start where left off setting? as you watched a film then it went back to the end to rewind itself ready to play? on view rewind backwards?_X_X_X_X_X_[small]XP 1700 TBred [o/c 2004mhz = 12X167/33 = FSB-334mhz]
    A7V8X SATA150/RAID 2x80 gig [Bios 1012]
    HERCULES 3D PROPHET [9700 Pro]
    XMS Corsair Platinum pc3500 2x512 1024 meg
    ENERMAX PSU 550watts
    [​IMG] [/small]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2003
  11. Skiwi

Skiwi Guest

hi well it never done that on any other movie just the one i copied should i try to put the vob files in sequence other than that wouldn't have a clue i thought it doesn't matter how the file when in ..any clues...

Skiwi

12. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

The files will automatically go in sequence !

You need to click on DVD-Video instead of DVD-Rom (UDF/ISO) in Nero 6 !!
    Thats an older version of Nero in Rotary's pictorial...
    It is okay to do it the way it shows in pic Rotary kindly supplied but you'd need to be using old Nero 5.5.10.42 or lower to go that route.

Hope this helps : )

Last edited: Oct 13, 2003
  13. Skiwi

Skiwi Guest

Hi all ok did what you siad herbsman and yes it worked on the stand alone DVD "but" another curly one for somone to think about when playing in my Pc i get the movie great when playing in the stand alone got the movie going the right way from start to finish but then all i get is the commentary...

I think i could right a book about this one day LOL

any clues

skiwi

14. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

yes herbs its the nero v5 i was holding off buying the v6 till it sorted itself out! due to it being something like £60 or £70 in pcworld!

Thx...

15. herbsman

Skiwi

You stated :
    I dont use DVD Shrink myself , I much prefer DVD2One ...but it sounds like you extracted other audio & left just 'Directors Commentary'
    Is hard to tell tho as you've given no details on method used as to getting them results..

Rotary , check PM m8 ;-)

[bold]herb.[/bold]

16. Skiwi

Skiwi Guest

Hey there Herb you are saying that you use DVD Decrypter and then do you use DVD2ONE. do you think it does a better job the DVD SHRINK and is it just as easy to use or better. when finished what do you use burn.it's just that i'm using dvd shrink and the nero 6 and seems to have nothing but problems when burning dvd i think buy my count about 6 coasters. so there must be something out there for us dummies to burn dvd easy.....

Skiwi

17. herbsman

Yes I use DVD2One after DVD Decrypter stage & yes it is very easy to use.
    I then use Nero 6 , DVD-Video option - add files to VIDEO_TS folder & burn