1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+RW won't play in my DVD Player - Help Needed

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by hanifmiah, May 27, 2007.

1. hanifmiah

hanifmiah Member

Hi,

I recently just got a dvd from my friend, ( a wedding film), so it's legal, and want to copy the dvd. But the problem is that the original disc does not play on my dvd player, but does play on my computer. The disc i borrowed is a dvd+r.

I have checked the compatibility of my dvd player (model: dvp-ns305 (sony)), and it supports DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL, etc.

So the disc should work. But it doesn't.

Ignoring this, i decided to copy the dvd to a blank DVD+RW. The same problem persists, the dvd plays successfully on my pc, but not on my dvd player.

I just wanted to know how to solve this problem, as i cannot find this same problem elsewher on the internet.

I have used Nero 7 Premium to copy the DVD.

Help would be much appreciated as soon as pissble.

Thank you your help and support is much appreciated.

2. hanifmiah

hanifmiah Member

does anyone understand english in this forum?

3. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

hey....... it's a holiday..... luckily I'm around and not at a BBQ or family function on this beautiful Sunday! anyway...... there could be a # of problems here. the DVD you got from a friend..... it could be a PAL version and it will play in your region free computer drive and not your NTSC DVD stand alone or visa versa! or:

there are plenty of reasons why certain dvds won't play in other players:

1. burning speeds: burn at 4x so there will be less writing errors (rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of the disk--8X disk burn at 4x).
    2. read manual for your stand alone player and use the disks that will play in your player. If your player is less than 2 yrs old then it should play the + or - R disks! I said SHOULD that's why you read the manual.
    3. try booktyping your drive to DVd-ROM so it will make your +R disks more compatible to players. Read this:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    4. make sure that there are no finger prints or scratches on your disk that make it hard for the player to read the disk!
    5. use good quality media (rule of thumb....buy the ones that are Made in Japan.) Verbatim is a top notch disk and is the only exception to this rule....some Verbatims are made in Taiwan and they are top notch!
    6. and don't burn too close to the outer edge of the disk ..... which will make the disk unreadable! but using good media you will be able to burn close to the edge better than lesser quality media. Just in case I only burn no closer than 4400MB, so if you can set your programs to that, all the better!

follow these little tips of the trade and you'll have better success! good luck.

also read this:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/
    why the +R media is better than the -R media

any number of things could be going on here. maybe it's crappy media.... maybe it's the burning speeds....... maybe it's a PAL or NTSC problem ....... I think it's crappy media being used and your player can't read it properly and so it doesn't play it at all!

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I speak American!!!!

I see a couple scenarios:

Now on that 1st Wedding vid,what type of burner produced it? TV burner,Mini dvd camcorder?

Any sticker labels slapped on it?

Can you test your backup copy in some other drives-friends/family?

1)Some people like myself,download home vids using a tv recorder,simply dubbing the camcorder into the tv stand alone recorder. There's 2 modes on some tv burners, V mode and VR mode. Not many drives can play the VR mode. That could be the culprit.

Also make sure your friend Finalized that wedding vid before he/she gave it to you.

2) Format: Since you ripped it to your harddrive,burn it to a dash disc and see if your stand alone player will recognize it. Stand alones can be picky with certain format,certain burn engines,Certain MID coded media,and even certain burners. Not all dvd burners are the same. Some of the weaker dvd-rw drives can produce low compatable backups. This means a player may play one of my Benq 1650 Dash backups,but not my HP 640C dash backups.

RW media can be trickier for stand alone players to read. Very effective to practice with,but not for stand alone player compatability.

3) Booktype the plus format to dvd-rom: Only certain drives have this ability. Benq,Plextor,LG,Lite-on,Some sony,Nec. Only the plus format can be set to be booktyped: +r/+rw/+r DL. This booktyping fools those stand alone players into thinking those discs are dvd-rom,just like the original dvd movies.

Post back the Brand name,Model #,and the current firmware version of your dvd-rw drive. Also post back the MID code from that wedding vid so we can see who made the discs. Here's a free program that you can get all the info from:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

5. hanifmiah

hanifmiah Member

thank u both for u incredible help. But not yet tried it.

First of all the dvd that my friend gave me is a copy of her original.

Second of all, the DVD is not a home vid. It's been done by professional wedding company. Has alll the menu's everything. So it will work anyways.

I am not sure about the finalisation part. The copy she gave me might be not finalised. But if it was finalised, it will work on the system she copied it on only.

What is this booktyping all about, and how do i do it?
    Sorry i'm a newbie here, so you'll have to put up with this newbie talk. I'm using a memorex DVD+RW. I heard that they r not good. But the one that my friend gave me is a verbatim DVD+R, that doesn't work either on my standalone dvd player. So this can't be the problem.

Maybe finalisation of the DVD or something can be the problem.

I though i'l give the booktyping business a go. So i'll nee d ur help.

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks.

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

thread teleported to relevant forum

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

What's the brand name and model# of your burner? You may have booktyping capability and don't even know it?

If it was professionally done,then it's probably been finalized.True dvds are pressed discs-no actual burn on them and the equipment is very pricey.When you get into smaller companies/individuals doing wedding vids and other stuff,then they'll usually burn them onto dvd+ or - media. Totally different from the pressed in dvd-rom format.Burners do vary and stand alone players can do some screwy things on dvd backups.

The good news is that your dvd-rw drive recognizes and plays that wedding vid.

Booktyping helps in these situations. It increases the compatability. The plus format is superior on the dvd-rw drives that have bitsetting capability to booktype. The dvd-rw drives that don't have this bitsetting capability,then the dash format is superior.

Probably a simple solution by trying to burn onto a dash R disc and testing it out?

8. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

read all about booktyping.... as stated in my first reply!