1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shattered/Lite-On 832s DOA/ Recommend a Replacement

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by SkyBum, Mar 3, 2005.

1. SkyBum

SkyBum Guest

Well, it aint a myth.....

A DVD movie just shattered in my Lite-On 832s and after opening the case and removing all the debris, it will spin up but fails to recognize that there's a disc present. Normally I'd spend a couple weeks reading all the latest reviews but I just started a home remodel and time is tight.

Anyone care to make some recommendations?

I rip/burn on average 8-10 DVDs per day. Ripping speed is extremely important to me. High compatibility and speed are my main considerations here.

What do afterdawn forum members generally consider to be the favorite these days?

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I love my benq 1620.I want another for my spare pc.My new I/O 16x has no prayer against that benq.Same with my other khpermedia +8x.Lower compatability,weeker lasers.
    I have not found 1 standalone player/ps2/dvd-rom-rw drive/and my home burner that will not play my + format backups from my benq, and that's a lot of newer and some very old ones.I play them in a lot of them.Only 1 old player that would not play it's dash format.I have even proven my buddies wrong when they said their players would not play the plus format.I even play them on players that don't support the + or dash format. I use high quality media like maxell,yuden000-t02,mcc-002,mcc-003,ricohjpn-01,sony08D1,sonyd11,mxl-rg02,mxlrg-03,ritekg04.Notice none of those cheap crap media codes here and i burn quite a bit each week.Pretty good for my $40 burner.I still have yet to find a media that it's firmware will not recognize and I try out a lot of different brands.

Well over 400 burns,on original firmware, and well over the 98% success rate at 4x. Those sony +1x-8x will let me burn successfully at 16x.The majority of +8x media will burn at least 12x. Not a single error when scanning with nero and dvdinfopro. Re-ripping is a breeze and 100% with over 100 + rips on the fly.It won't allow me to re-rip and burn my backups at 8x.

I am not sure on the ripping speed,the plextor's are said to be faster and are also a high quality burner. Pioneer is also way up there in the quality list.

I did see that myth-buster's show about discs exploding inside the case,this is first one I heard about.
    Good Luck on your quest and on your re-model job.

3. SkyBum

SkyBum Guest

Thanks, I'll take a look right now.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey skybum, you talked me into getting another benq 1620. Newegg.com have them on special this weekend for $65.49 including s&h. And that price has a another $10 off for rebate. I just ordered mine and hopefully my compatability issues will be resolved and I can feel safe to burn from either pc without sticking with a certain format or media mfg code.

Have a good weekend buddy, Later

5. SkyBum

SkyBum Guest

Glad I could help ;)