1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink 3.1 vs 3.2 and Decrypter

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dukhnt, Feb 1, 2005.

1. dukhnt

dukhnt Member

Hey guys, I just wanted some other peoples opinion on this. when I first started making copies of DVD's I used Dvd Shrink 3.1. Then soon came 3.2. Shortly after problems arose with certain DVD's and people started using 3.2 in conjunction with Decrypter or AnyDVD etc etc. Anyway with movies such as Friday Night Lights, RE, the forgotton, I too have had problems, but instead of attempting to find the right combinations of programs, I have always first tried 3.1 and to this day have yet to have a movie it didnt take care of when 3.2 couldnt. So I guess I'm wondering why 3.1 works and its an older version, and it doesnt need help (ie anydvd).

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Fascinating... The ripper portion of the software is basically the same and neither 3.1 or 3.2 was updated for the new Sony ARccOS encryption system because the Sony encryption system wasn't being used in July 04 when the last Shrink update occurred.

Ripping with an updated version of DVD Decrypter would help and I can assure you from personal experience that the 3.2 does work with AnyDVD.

The upgrade to 3.2 in Shrink was mainly to modernize it with dual layer capability and improve the ability to encode with better quality under higher compression. A few other minor things were done. But the ripper aspect of the program was not an issue. So, as long as you don't use the new features, there's no difference whether you use 3.1 or 3.2 Shrink.

3. dukhnt

dukhnt Member

I would like to use Decrypter, and I have downloaded the newest version, but I like to do Full Backups, and I have yet to be able to figure it out. I have followed the guides, and no luck, I have spent hours trying to find Petes guide, but get frustrated when i cant find it

4. brobear

brobear Guest

You don't need a ScubaPete guide to use Decrypter. Virtual guides can be found at http://www.dvdshrink.info and a more comprehensive guide can be found at http://www.doom9.org and something should be in guides here at AD. (Look at the tabs at the top of the page.) Rip the DVD in File Mode with Decrypter and select Open Files when you open DVD Shrink, there's nothing complicated and the rest of Shrink works the same. Doing Full Backup isn't an issue; with DVD Shrink, that is the simple option.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2005