1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink/ Decrypter burn time 5 hours! Need help with IDE settings.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Arrow54, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Arrow54

Arrow54 Member

Hello all. Let me start by saying that I started using the Shrink/Decrypter combo about 3 weeks ago. Set up exactly as the thread had instructed and to date, have sucessfully burned over a dozen movies with zero coasters thus far using both Memorex DVD-R 4x and Sony DVD+R 4.7 disc. After reading thru all the post, I've have noticed that my time to complete a disc from start to finish is a bit longer than most here. I'm using a 3 year old Dell Demin 4300. Windows ME,1.5gig proc, 512RAM,40gig HD (25gig usable space). I have one Dynex CD/DVD +/- internal writer and one Dell DVD rom internal player. My IDE jumper pins for both players is set to "cable select". Dell says the computer will auto recognize the master and slave at these settings.The DVD rom drive is the 1st connect thin on to the burner. When burning movies with Shrink,I prefer to select both english DD5.1 and DTS soundtracks and "english" sub picture (not sure what the subpicture is. I check it off just to be safe). Before burning, I disable my Nortons 2K5 internet security, Comcast cable modem, screen saver and have unchecked all non-vital programs in my start up menue. DVD Shrink options setting are exactly as instructed in the thread a while back. From start, the disc analyse takes about 4 to 5 minutes. The download to hardrive takes anywhere from 3 to 4 hours. The burn to disc process takes 1 hour. As stated ealier, my current setup has performed well for me as far as sucessfully completing my disc. Would I be able to tweek just a little to improve my burning time or should I leave well enough alone? I don't want to mess up a good thing :) Any advise would be greatly apreciated, Thanks :)

2. dp70

dp70 Member

Are you using your hdd to cache files prior to burn or using each drive to read and write?
    DVD burning is a very processor intense app. During ripping and burning phases Decrypter will report the read and & write speed you have the option of keeping the log. You will obtain best results with as few as possible processes running.

Defrag your HDD prior to ripping and burning, contiguous files require fewer read ops.The single most important performance booster on a win machine is to add more mem, I use 1.5 gb.

C-sel will configure the master as the one on the far end of the cable...and with the overhead of dvd burning I use the 80 conductor ide cable. C-sel is nice if the drives are 100% plug and play, I have encountered a dvd drive or 2 that would not autodetect.
    I do not depend on the C-sel mode and rather configure 1 master and 1 slave.

Your dvd drive is an e-ide device or a subset of scsi, configuration errors and device drivers. Windows ME is the worse attempt of MS to generate cash with an OS you could not pay me to use. I had to troubleshoot a few Dell ME machines, in every case I demanded ( for the owner) that Dell either provides a free change to Win2000 or issue an RMA for the machine. Dell did not want the machines back and provided a free upgrade to W2000.

My W 2000 machine sp4 / 1.5gb mem / amd xp2400 / 160gb wd hdd / liteon 8x master / Pana 2x slave a full dvd burn is 8 min on the 8x on the 2x 28 min. Resist the temptation to buy unbranded and off-brand blanks.

The only dvd project to occupy tha much time was recoding a Pana dvd-ram disk ( full) to dvd-R.

subpicture=sub-titles ,the size small 'nuff to include.

DP70 / john

3. Arrow54

Arrow54 Member

Hello dp70. To tell you the truth,being somewhat of a newbie, I'm not too sure how I'm burning other than setting up Shrink/Decrypter according to the instructions here a while back. I can say that once I complete a disc, I go to my Computer>C:drive and then delete the folders that were created from the movie I copied. There's usually around 4 or 5 folders I wind up deleting to free up space again on my C;drive. Hope this comes close to answering your question regarding using hardrive to cache files prior to burn. So if I reset up my burner as the master and my DVD rom as the slave and run defrag prior to each burn do you think that'll reduce my time to create a disc?

4. LIGHT_UK

LIGHT_UK Member

Delete your ide controller from within device manager and then reboot.
    This will fix your DMA problem.