1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink for it all - Is there a better way..................

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by snowmaaan, Aug 22, 2004.

1. snowmaaan

snowmaaan Member

Hi guru's!

Tell me, is there a better way?

I have used DVD Shrink for all my backups so far - 80% failure rate, due to the whole "I bought dodgy blank media because they were cheap!"

But, DVD Shrink seems to do everything, including burn to disc at the end

If I can get it over 80% quality compressing, then I do that. If not I use re-author to burn just the movie

Is there a better way?

I have only been doing this for about 2 weeks now, and don't have the knowledge of some of you guys who seem to have an answer for everything!!

Thanks guys

2. michigan

michigan Guest

Thera are a lot of different programs that you can use. The new Shrink is outstanding and FREE the quality is arguably as good as anything else and it's FREE, it is also very easy to use. For basic bckups there is no need to go anywhere else. It's all about preferance. If you want to play around and experiment thats great but a "better" way it's all opinion, and mine is keep with Shrink (did I mention that its FREE).

3. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

In my opinion michigan is spot on.
    I do the same as you snowmaaan, if it's over 80% compression I copy the whole thing. If it's under then I only do the main movie.
    I think michigan forgot to mention this but it's FREE.

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

snowmaaan, yes there are better ways. That doesn't take away from shrink. It is the best free app, and in the top 5 of all apps(as michigan stated-my opinion). I think most would agree(that have used it) that RB/CCE is the best, it's hard to tell the difference between it and the original at 50% compression! I have done tests at 300% magnification and it was still hard to tell the diff.!

There are about a million threads that debate what's the best and there will never be a clear winner, but RB/CCE comes as close as I've seen to all agreeing it is the best, again of those that have used it. After all CCE basic, which costs 58.00, uses the same engine as CCE SP which costs 2,000.00!

I also wanted to add your statement-[bold]"But, DVD Shrink seems to do everything, including burn to disc at the end "[/bold] is not entirely accurate. Shrink does not burn, however it can automatically choose it's burner, whether it be Nero or Decrypter(which must be used with ISO files).

In the end it's what makes you happy, but you asked. ;)
    BTW, did I mention, shrink is free?

5. michigan

michigan Guest

I forgot to mention that you aslo need Decrypter if you wnat to do it free. oh yea and decrypter is FREE
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]emachines T1862, 1.8mhz, 762 ram, 60gig hdd, 10gig hdd, lite-on multiformat dvd, 1394 IEEE[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2004