1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to AVI

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by daveco2, Aug 8, 2004.

1. daveco2

daveco2 Member

I checked the index for this procedure and found a great summary by Minion on 20 May 04. Step 1 in DVD Decryptor worked great. Step 2 in DVD2AVI worked great. But I'm having a problem with Step 3 in AVI-Mux. I only get a save as file type *.mka although I set the standard output format as AVI in the Settings page. AVI-Mux also won't accept it if I just type in the "save to" file with an AVI extension.

Any suggestions, maybe a different mux program?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

3. daveco2

daveco2 Member

After DVD2AVI, I got a bunch of AVI files and one AC3 audio file. The AVIs played back fine and I was trying to use AVI-Mux to reassemble video with audio, but AVI-Mux wouldn't work for me.

In any case, I'll study the instructions at the site you recommend.

I was using the following instructions from another post:

"What you should do is Rip the DVD useing SmartRipper or DVD Decryptor and then Load all of the VOB files into a program called "DVD2AVI" and set the "Audio" to "Track #1" and under "audio" to "Output Method" set it to "Demux" and under "Video" to "Field Opperations" set it to "Forced Film" (This will get rid of those lines and Trailing Things)..and under "Video" to "Color Space" set it to "YUV" and under "YUV<->RGB" set it to "TV Scale", Now go to "File" to "Save AVI" and give your File a Name and save it and then you have to choose the codec you are going to use, I would Suggest useing DivX 5.11 or XVID at a bitrate of about 1000kbs, After setting up the codec settings the Movie will start being converted to AVI and when it is done you will have an AVI file with No audio and an AC3 audio file so you will have to download a Program called "AVI-Mux" and you Load both the audio and Video in and save it as a New File and that is it you will have a New AVI file with Really High Quality and with Dolby Surround Audio.....Cheers"

Thanks,

Dave

4. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Search on www.download.com for dvd ripping programs, i got one that when i put a DVD movie in my computers drive it gave me the option of ripping the whole movie to .avi format, it did it all and compressed it from the dvd size of about 4gb down to 650mb with no loss of quality, it was divx 5.0 compatable to so once burned it worked on my dvd player.

5. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Hi Dave,
    Are you still lost? :)
    You just need GordianKnot, and you don't need to
    Your program is right here on AD
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/gordian_knot.cfm
    If you have your DivX (or XviD) codec, you don't really need the GKnot system pack that accompanies the rip pack.
    If you are not technically inclined and/or do not enjoy tweaking the perfect DVD backup, then maybe AutoGKnot is for you
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/autoGK.cfm
    Yes of course, AD has it too.
    Based on that gibberish-post you quoted, GKnot will be a pleasure for you to use!
    AutoGKnot might be TOO easy (and, you will grow fat) LoL ;-)
    Regards

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

ABIT AN7 nForce2 Ultra 400
    XP2500+ Barton @ 3200+
    2 x 512MB PC3200[/small]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2004
  6. daveco2

daveco2 Member

Guys,

Thanks for all the replies.

The_OGS: I've been using AutoGK for the last couple of days. It's great. But my Premiere 5.1c still can't read it, so I have to process the AVIs further through VirtualDub. Then I get great video/audio, but for 4 minute (2GB) clips only, which it turns out is enough for my purposes. Longer clips don't work.

indienemo: I went to the site you recommended and downloaded #1DVDRipper. It looks interesting and I'll try that next.

I looked at the Avisynth approach in Premiere and would rather not get that involved witht the whole process. But if I start developing longer projects, I may be forced into that approach.

In any case, I'm going to get Premiere 6.5 and see if that helps. I want the better titling anyway.

Thanks again,

Dave