1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to Downloadable Format Without Loss of Quality?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by watson101, Apr 5, 2007.

1. watson101

watson101 Member

My band has a Music Video on DVD that we distribute to Disk Jockey's for playing at their dances.

Recently I have received requests from DJ's overseas for copies of the DVD so they can use it as part of their shows.

The postage and possible customs delays are to much of a barrier for me to service this market, however some have suggested we put the music video up for them to download from my web site. They said as much as 50 MB's does not bother them, Of course I am concerned that if the file is reduced that the quality will deteriorate when they play the video on what are usually 80 inch screens up to 10 feet.

Does anyone know of a solution for how to maintain as high of quality as possible? I believe many of these DJ's are using Apple Laptops to play these DVD on their screens and so they would likely import my downloaded file into their iTunes software and play it form there similar to how people are watching downloaded movies from their iTunes library. A typical iTunes music video m4v file comes in at around 20MB but I have not examined the quality on a big screen

The video appears in Flash at http://www.blackoutband.com

2. Suba

Suba Regular member

That is the think iTunes have small screen so anything will look good. 10' screen is different story.
    You can convert your file to Mpeg4 (DivX) format that will be about 7-8 times smaller, than you can play with bitrate to get it even smaller.
    But 50MB is, I think, too small for anything to project on a big screen.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  3. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Any compression will reduce quality, it's a trade off between file size and resolution..

You can always just take all the vobs and whatever off your dvd intact then make a large rar archive from them for uploading (or make an iso of the disk and rar that instead) Then the downloaders can decide to do whatever they want with your full disk depending on what hardware they want to use it with. This method allows burning an exact 1 to 1 copy of your dvd.
    Obviously it will be a large file.. 50MB isn't a realistic size for a quality music video. A lossless audio track can often run to more than that.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2007