1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-VCD?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Mattroid, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Mattroid

Mattroid Member

I've been debating if I want to try to make one of these so-called DVD-VCD discs. See, I have a bunch of AVI videos of TV shows which I'd like to convert to a format that will play on my DVD player.

Now, I've gone a made a few VCD discs, but when there are like 20+ episodes, this can be a pain when you only get about three episodes per disc.

I've also tried converting the AVI files to DVD, but then the same problem seems to arise. Once it converts over to MPEG-2, the file size is generally over 1GB, so I can still only get a few episodes per disc.

I've been reading about this DVD-VCD thing and I can't figure out if this is mainly for people who have videos in VCD format, or what? Because, in theory, if I could make a DVD in VCD format, I could fit a lot more episodes on to one DVD than I could on CD. In other words, is there a way to basically burn a VCD format collection of videos onto a DVD rather than a CD?

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Yes, you can encode your avi's to mpeg1 vcd's(using the mpeg encoder of your choice) and then use TMPGEnc dvd author(or the authoring program of your choice) to author your dvd and resample the audio.(if your happy with the picture quality of vcd's)
    I use mine in portable standalones,for traveling, and watching on smaller tv's.I can get 4 movies(over 6 hours of movies) on one dvd.
    good luck
    blaze on clubber
    jim