1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDclone2 vs. DVD shrink.......

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by dabig25, Oct 21, 2005.

1. michaelhk

michaelhk Member

I Downloaded the trial version of the AnyDVD and CloneDVD2, tried on Chocolate factory backup, initially everything works fine until when 18 minutes was left from the "Building DVD file" bar (at 25%) and the program hangs (Not responding), I close the program from XP and re-run again, but the program hangs again!
    I am using Pent D Dual Core 2.8G with 1GB RAM, DVD Rom and a LiteOn DVD R writer.

Any suggestions?

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

At that point in the process I would check the original for dirt, finger prints or damage. Your programs have beaten the encryption that far in so it has to be something else causing the problem. Possibly a defective original pressing.

Jerry

3. BIGnewb

BIGnewb Guest

i have cloneDVD the trial version now and i want to get off on a good start so i just need to know wat speed to use on a 8x memorex dvd-r.and i know memorex may not work but plz just say.

4. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Since it is Memorex keep it to 4x some members will even tell you 2x. Don't sweat it will work out, but in the future think better media, it really does not cost that much more, there are always sales and you will have less chance for coasters :)

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yes it does BUT it has alot of problems inculding not being able to re-author and NOT controling the burn speed plus audio problems for that reason i dont use the program unless i have to for hard to read dvds

6. rspar

rspar Member

I use dvdfab express and get movies on one disc (w/o menus etc) would shrink increase picture quality? They seem pretty good now though.

7. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

I've never tried Fab..........

But DVD Clone has had pretty good, picture quality when I just do movie only.

8. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

picture quality wise fab is better than shrink

9. movies27

movies27 Regular member

what about deep analysis using clone dvd2...when you do a movie it just starts right on up transcoding it...i see no option for deep analysis or any enhancements...is clone dvd2 just that good that it doesnt need to do any of that..and also i'm hoping someone can explain this to me from the manual of this program.."Snapshot window: Picture Snapshots show which parts of the movie are transcoded at the moment. You can change the update frequency as you like to. The higher the update frequency the slower the transcoding process! """???? ...How would you change the update frequency?

10. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

11. danwer

danwer Member

Im feelin very sad when i´m hear people buy Slysoft prog & keys. at places like E-Bay. They want good & relayable programs but they wont let the people who make them get payed for the excellent job´s !!
    I have all Slysofts products and i have payed for every one of them.

And I hope all people with fake keys for Slysoft & Elby products
    will get a permanent Blue Screen of Death or worse !!!

Slysoft programs are worth the price and some one must make the updates 4 them otherwise they cant´t do the job with your DVD´s
    So.
    Download & Try them 4 21 days
    Buy them if U like them (Pay 2 Slysoft and no one else)
    Otherwise don´t use them at all !

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

very good advice danwer , there def. worth the bucks

13. 9mmruger1

9mmruger1 Regular member

I have found that Memorex usually costs as much if not more than good quality media. Think Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, Maxell (MIJ), Sony (MIJ), or Fugi (MIJ). You can often find these on sale.

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yes all can be had on sale for about 25 to 35 cents a piece

15. GSTNem

GSTNem Member

lol i brought them and i have that ne ways :p

16. permatex

permatex Regular member

i have been following this discussion as to weather clone dvd2 or dvd shrink gives the best quality picture,first there are some varabiles to consider such as your computer,processor,dvd writer,hard drive speed ,memory,amount of compression and all the other little things that can affect a given dvd copy outcome.you can copy a dvd using clone dvd2 and dvd shrink and ask ten persons to look at both and tell you which one has the best quality picture,chances are five will say dvd shrink and five will say clone dvd2.to make a long story short,go with what you are satisfied with after you have tried it.

17. GSTNem

GSTNem Member

well, i dont wanan sound stupid, but inst the only difference between the picture quality cuased by the compressor codec (or decompressor)? because obviously u can only fit a certain amount on a disk, both have to lose some quality when they make it smaller right? well isnt the quality of the smaller picture determined by the codecs each uses? if one has a better codec than the other it will be better no question...

18. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Yes, it's true. The less compression , the better the pic. quality

19. brobear

brobear Guest

I believe there was more being said. Besides editing to lower the content, the software being used to transcode or encode makes a difference as well. The transcoding or encoding (compression) software makes a lot of difference. Someone mentioned Rebuilder using the Cinema Craft Encoder app. That is one of the better apps, but a 2 pass encode can take nearly 3 hrs for a large movie like Man Of The House. That DVD is about 7.8GB in size and encoding was done using a 3 GHz processor. It's not much faster with smaller movies, but it varies a little from movie to movie. Using a faster or more efficient processor can speed things up, but that's across the board for most recording apps, encoding/transcoding is processor intensive.

I have access to a large library of software. I've gravitated to RB/CCE when I want the best quality, especially with higher compression involved with the bigger movies. After that, I like the DVD Copy 4 from InterVideo. That one's fast as well as high quality. Sort of a pain to edit with until you get used to it. Great auto settings though and you can go for movie only. Then there's Recode 2 with Nero. Seems to be improved and I'm using it more lately for movies less than 7GB. Recode has some settings to improve quality as well. Shrink is almost as slow as RB when using the quality settings to improve quality at higher compression. Without the settings in use, it breaks down as the compression starts going over 20% or so. CloneDVD2 is okay, I just don't trust it for higher compression work. Those are just some personal observations where cost isn't a factor. There are trial apps for these and Shrink is a freebie, so checking it out isn't a problem. Doing tests will let the user find his own preferences.

If cost was a factor, I'd probably have RB/CCE using the CCE Basic and Recode2 along with the Nero Suite. That way I'd have the complete burning suite with a decent and fast transcoder, and a good encoder setup with RB. The HC encoder with RB makes that setup free and it works good. So there is another alternative to cut cost.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2005
  20. movies27

movies27 Regular member

here's my 2 cents..i did movie only of deuce bigalow using dvd clone 2 & shrink..both were 100% quality..the movie done with dvd clone 2 looked 10 times better than the 1 i did using shrink....