1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvdr to dvdr connection audio problem

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by KMJvet, Aug 7, 2003.

1. KMJvet

KMJvet Member

The rules said be detailed and I'll do my best. Thanks in advance.....

I have an audio problem. My set up is DirectTV satellite into a Hughes DirectTV/Tivo DVR. The #1 out goes via RCA jacks to an older Sony amplifier (in the video 1 IN).
    The #2 OUT from the Hughes goes to the Panasonic DMR-T3040 via s-video and RCA jacks for audio where it goes into L1 IN on the Panasonic. The #2 output of the Hughes TIVO DVR is the secondary output used for the "Save to VCR" and I am replacing my VCR with the T3040 so handle overflow from my TIVO unit by using DVD-ram and that units HD.

Output of T3040 goes to the 2nd video in on the Sony ampifier (via all RCA jacks). Connection to TV is via Video out from the Sony amplifier.
    I use the L3 IN of T3040 to input, via RCA jacks, signal from VCR (wish to transfer my VCR tapes to DVD.

Audio is fine when playing commercial DVDs with amplifier set on video 2. Audio is fine when feed through T3040 L3 playing VCR tapes on amplier video 2.
    Audio is present but there is a loud background buzz/humm when playing signal via L1 thru the Panasonic from the Hughes. This bad audio is recorded when recording on the Panasonic T3040.

Audio is fine when playing Hughes DVR directly via amplifier via video 1.

This leads me to believe the problem occurs in the connection of the Hughes to the Panasonic DVRs.
    Cables are new...connections are tight. I need ideas for troubleshooting or a work around. Both DVDRs do have ports for digital audio but I have not connected them in that way. Are they for both in and out? Any chance that would solve my problem?

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

When recording what? Fro the TIVO. For instance, if i am recording a CD on my hifi and still have my Video RCS plugged to the back of the hifi, i get interference. Is there something that is on and could be interfering with your Recorder?

3. KMJvet

KMJvet Member

Thanks.....Actually to have the problem, I needn't be recording. Just playing the signal from the output of the Hughes DVDR into either the L2 or the L3 input of the Panasonic DVDR creates the problem. It's if I record that signal, the recording has the problem just like watching live. I mentioned that because I think it means the issue isn't at the level of the amplifier? The two dvdrs are 4 - 5 feet aprart. There is VCR sitting next to the Panasonic dvdr, but the problem happens when the VCR power is off. Worth testing it with the VCR, entirely unplugged? The TV is about 2-3 feet away from the Hughes and 3-4 feet from the Panasonic.

4. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

I always say the path of least resistance is always the best; doesn't matter if it's stereos or dating. (lol)

But seriously, fewer wires are better. What I did was got one of those signal switch boxes; one for if you only have one set of inputs on your TV but want to hook up satellite, DVD, laserdisc, etc. Then I hooked it up backwards to one of the two outputs from my satellite.

So the one output goes directly from the sat to the TV. Optical output goes from sat to receiver. The remaining output goes to the switch box, and the switch box is hooked up to the two VCR's, and the DVD recorder.

5. KMJvet

KMJvet Member

Thanks. I think about whether there's a different way to run the wires. Your specific solution can't work for me as both satellite lines must run to the satellite receiver or TIVO cannot record two programs at once. It needs those two separate signals.
    I could try running only one signal out of the back of the Hughes box, but it would have to go to the Panasonic box, then onto the Amplifier and on to the TV if anyone thinks that degree of simplification might be worth trying?