1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD's are empty

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by recruit05, Mar 31, 2005.

1. recruit05

recruit05 Member

I've been burning dvd's and several of them have been empty. When I go to play them in several different dvd players I get messages like disc is empty, no disc, and disc playback not available. I switched my media from memorex to phillips and i am still having the same problem. I use dvdshrink first and then write with decrypter. When the dvd's are done i get the message operation successfully completed, however there is still nothing on these disc. Please help me, Please!

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried playing them in your computer? Is the media you're using compatable with your stand alone? (i.e. +r/-r) Decrypter only burns files smaller than 4.37 gb. Do you have it in write mode when burning?

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

What model of dvd burner do you have?
    If it's dual format, you may have to try the opposite format from you are using now.

Plus we need to know if you pc can play those backups,like binkie7 posted.

EDIT: [bold]I switched my media from memorex to phillips[bold]

Use dvd decrypter/nero infotool/dvdinfopro/or dvdidentier to locate the exact media codes on those memorex and philips.Not exactly your higher quality media.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  4. jimmymcc

jimmymcc Member

I am having the same problem. Using Devrypter and Shrink and burning with Pinnacle 8 I backed up my whole collection (on Packard Bell DVD+RW and some budget 1one dvd+r's) without a problem and they all played on my JVC standalone. Then I bought Spartan and the problems started. Everything worked as per normal, but then the dvd would only play on my PC. Tried 4 different dvd's and they all did the same thing. I then did adaware-se scan, norton scan and system restore. This allowed me to burn 2 further dvd's (no CSS protection-is that relevant?) which play fine. This encouraged me to try Spartan again and hey presto, I've resumed my costly yet productive coaster-making exercise! The discs play fine on PinnacleInstant Cinema, but not anywhere else. I did get a box pop up asking about regions and I selected region 2 which is the correct one. Should I just have ignored the box and closed it? Have I changed a setting somewhere? Everything still appears to be normal apart from this. Please help before I tear out my remaining few strands of hair! (and apologies if the answer is obvious and/or this is the wrong place to ask!)

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

[bold] I selected region 2 which is the correct one[/bold]

I use dvd shrink,but I make all my backups "region free".There's a setting for this in dvd shrinks backup options,just tick it.

Also,try ripping with dvd decrypter in file mode/reducing it with dvd shrink/ and burn with dvd decrypter. I don't see too many members using pinnacle to burn.Dvd shrink auto burns with nero and dvd decrypter.

If you do get a box saying something about changing regions, be cautious. It may be changing regions on your dvd-rw drive.You can only change this about 5 times,and once you use them up-you are stuck on that region.I sometimes get this on dvd shrink/I just ignore it and proceed.

I don't know much about the packard bell +rw's,but those other +r's sound fishy. Use dvd decrypter to find the mfg code on them and post back.

6. jimmymcc

jimmymcc Member

Sorry, I didn't make the region bit very clear! I do select region free in shrink, but when I start it up I get a grey box that pops up saying something about the dvd being encoded for region 2 only and would only play on r2 players unless I wanted to modify the region (then got the 6 region options) or leave them alone. There's a small caveat at the bottom that says this WON'T change the region of the writer itself and I've checked to make sure and it's still the same. The more I read the more I'm starting to think it's the crappy media, but the fact that all the early backps work bugs me a bit. Either that or the writer itself is knackered, but it plays ok. I'll try to burn onto one of the +rw's again, see if it works over the dodgy ones. I'm at work for a few hours yet, but will try to post the mfg code as soon as I can. Many thanks for the help!

7. jimmymcc

jimmymcc Member

Sorry, forgot to mention that I've tried burning with both Pinnacle and decrypter with the same result. Honestly, I could have a huge party in my house and not worry about damp rings on furniture.
    Thanks.

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Media quality can do a number of things when it comes to backing up dvd's.Even using the same batch.It those dvd+r's are in a spindle,try one of the bottom ones.
    Try to ignore the region code pop up,you should be able to click out of it.

If it is a region problem between the discs you are trying to copy,download the free trial of anydvd by slysoft.It's a 20 day free trial and a very good program that runs in the background.No extra steps.When activated,you'll see an icon of a red fox in your system tray on bottom right of screen.That should pull off that region issue.Anydvd also helps crack the newer encryptions that are coming out.

If they play on your pc ok,Then you may have stand alone issues. But the media can also cause those stand alones to play.You need a reliable standalone to check all your backups on to make sure everything is ok.I play mine on many different pcs and stand alones so I've experienced quite a few of these issues.

9. jimmymcc

jimmymcc Member

Apologies for the delay in replying. I have the problem sorted, and as I was beginning to think after what you'd said, it was the media after all. Bought better dvd+r's and they have worked perfectly so far. No more budget shopping for me!
    Thanks for the help.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Thank God we finally have another convert ~

It's so hard to convience pple that the discs are different and that the Memorex are at the bottom (with Phillips a bit higher). Though Phillips are made by a fairly good company they use a rather poor dye *"unknown," so should be suspect.

Nice job, Saugmon :)

11. jimmymcc

jimmymcc Member

You know what the really sad thing is? I even went so far as to exchange my standalone! Even worse, I think I *may* have left a back-up of a, well, adult dvd in it. Ooops.

12. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

LMAO, jimmymcc!!!

BTW, was it a jenna j movie?

I have a co-worker who bought a new apex player a year or so ago and it ate one of her original adult dvd's. She wouldn't even take it back for an exchange-too embarassed, lol

Keep using the good media and you'll prevent a lot of problems.

Thanks for the compliment ScubaPete, looks like poor/crappy media struck again!! Go figure!

13. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Don't worry Jimmymcc - I lent some back ups to a coworker a few months ago who decided to return the DVD player.
    Guess what he did - left the back up of Disc 1 of Goodfellas in it. He profusely agologized and said he would go back to Best Buy and get it. I said no I can always make another copy of it.