1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD's Digitizing at end

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cndnmofo, Apr 9, 2007.

1. cndnmofo

cndnmofo Guest

Ok been noticing a problem latley near the end of movies that i backup directly from a purchased version of the disk. Near the final scenes of a movie the movie starts to digitize and the picture stalls breaks up and has alot of problem. Basically i cant watch the end of the movies and i dont know why this is happening. Im using a Samsung 16X burner and TDK DVD-R Print on Disks. Im using Nero Ultra to recode and burn. Whats causeing this? Is it becuase im burning at 16X (the disks are rated at 1-16X however). I had this problem way back inthe past with diferent software burner and media, however havent seen it in a long time until now. So what causes this??

2. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

You definitely should not burn the TDK's at 16x speed,
    try 8x or even 4x and see if that happens

also it could be you are burning too close to the edge,
    you could try changing the output size

3. cndnmofo

cndnmofo Guest

what would u recomend as a better media choice that have the white printable tops? And also yeh the disks are full but how would you make them not full and to close to the edge? Didnt know that could be an isue

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

try verbatim or taiyo yuden but I still wouldn't burn faster than 12x on 16x media. what software are you using to compress with?

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

White printable tops? Are these thermals or inkjet printables?

If inkjet printable,get verbatim or the spindles of 8x Maxell that say Made in japan. Avoid the Maxells that are made in taiwan when it comes to inkjet printables-they'll yield prodisc. Just look the shrink wrapper over for Made in Japan for the Hitachi Maxells.

TDK media: I see way too many people having burn issues with them. Definitely keep the burn speed slow and reduce backup target size:

Open up nero recode 2,either click main movie or full disc. Then look down to the lower right corner,just above total size.

Tick fit to target
    click custom-a window will pop up
    enter 4300
    OK.

Give her a shot now. Get some quality verbatim,taiyo yuden,or maxell hitachi-then up that size to 4360-4370 mbs.

Before any other changes,play one of those problematic backups on your pc. Use the dvd-rw drive that burned it,to play it. Pay careful attention to the ending-where your issues arrise.

When using quality media,avg 4x-8x burn,no multi-tasking,no paper/sticker labels,no multi-tasking,defraggeded hd,4360 mb backup target-and you still have playback issues: Usually it's the stand alone player's fault. A laser lens cleaning may be in order.

Make sure the dvd-rw drive plays it's own backups,and they should look near original in quality .

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Before we call the media crap, lets find out what company manufactured it. Some TDK is good stuff, some isn't. Run DVD Identifier (free) and give us the manufacuter info.

How did the burn turn out at 8X?

7. cndnmofo

cndnmofo Guest

for some reason i cant choose to bun at 8X it gives me the option of burning at Max or at 18x (Guessing its an 18X samsung drive) So how can i get the option for 8X to show up??

8. cndnmofo

cndnmofo Guest

OK just got the DVD identifier and this is what it spits out for infromation:

DISK AND BOOK TYPE: [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
    MANUFACTURER NAME: [TDK Corp.]
    MANUFACTURER ID: [TTH02]
    BLANK DISK CAPACITY:[2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71GB(4.38 GiB)]

Under the capabilities tab this is what is shown:

** INFO : Drive = TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M - [FW SB03] - [USB]
    ** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+R DVD+R-DL DVD+RW
    ** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD-R DVD-R-DL DVD-RW DVD-RAM
    ** INFO : Disc = [DVD-R:TTH02]
    ** INFO : Reference Speed : 1x DVD = 1385 kBps
    ** INFO : An Writeable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
    ** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
    Descriptor #1 = 22160 kBps (16.00x) - [Pure CAV]
    Descriptor #2 = 16620 kBps (12.00x) - [Pure CAV]
    Descriptor #3 = 11080 kBps ( 8.00x) - [Pure CAV]
    Descriptor #4 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

** INFO : MODE SENSE Write Speed Descriptor(s) [Legacy Command]
    ** WARNING : MODE SENSE Is Obsolete And Not Always Properly Supported
    Descriptor #1 = 22160 kBps (16.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
    Descriptor #2 = 16620 kBps (12.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
    Descriptor #3 = 11080 kBps ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

That's the in house manufactured media. In the past Taiyo Yuden and Mitsubishi have manufactured some of the TDK. Those are 2 of the most respected names in media manufacturing. MCC is under the Verbatim corporate umbrella and is considered as the Verbatim in house media. Verbatim is usually manufactured by the better media manufacturers. That's why most people suggest it. I've had exceptional luck with Sony +R (both Taiyo Yuden and Sony manufacture). I'm using fairly new equipment with up to date firmware, which I hear makes a difference.

10. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

i have had great success with those MID coded(THH02) TDK's in the past, however i was burning them at 4x.

As for you cant choose a lower speed, thats weird.

Is your firmware up to date?

you can find out your firmware using the dvd identifier program

what burning program are you using?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You set the speed after you've put the recordable DVD in the burner and the burner recognizes it. You expand the Burn Settings window to the left and the burn speed options are in the drop down window. Your speeds may be different due to being a different drive, but you should have 8X in the offering.

[​IMG]

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

are you loading the media and letting the drive recognize it before trying to set the burn speed? this is the most common cause of unable to adjust burn speed. make sure your drive has recognized the blank media and then try to set it at 8x.

the other problem you are having, tiling only at the end of the movie is usually caused by burning too far out on the outer edge on inferior dvd media. with that particular media, I would set the target size to 4300mb. with verbatim or ty media you should get away with a target size of 4400mb no problem. burning too fast will normally cause playback issues (tiling, pausing, or skipping) throughout the entire movie.

you beat me PacMan

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Mort81
    Look above. ;) I even supplied a pretty picture. LOL

We posted all over each other that time. ;)

14. cndnmofo

cndnmofo Guest

i think that i cant set the speed because its not the blank disk thats in the drive when im setting it up. Using nero recode with just the single drive so the original DVD is in there to start. How can i go about changing burn speed when this is the way im burning as its a notebook with one drive.

15. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

you can just burn manually, have it write to your HDD.
    or
    you can try this, put the blank in before you hit burn and let it recognize the disk so you can set the speed,after you set the speed put the original back in then press burn.

BTW, you are using something else with recode right?
    anyDVD?
    Region & CSS free?

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I agree with 300bowler. you can just write it to your hdd and burn it manually afterwards. make sure you put it in a sub folder named video_ts within the main folder in case you want to view it with a media player prior to writing it to a disc. eg. C:/FLUSHED AWAY/VIDEO_TS

did you change the target size to custom and then type in 4300?

17. cndnmofo

cndnmofo Guest

yeh using anydvd and i can do the 4300 custom size thing ill let you now how it turns out.

18. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I have no idea what the problem is. The software is made for use with a single optical drive. Having 2 just makes it easier. Here's a shot of the burn settings with Recode + Region Free running. The factory DVD is still in the drive, the analysis was done, and the Burn Settings window opened. Note the full range of burn settings.

[​IMG]

When Burn is selected the program starts encoding from the disc and will ask for the DVD recordable when it's ready. The speed is set according to what was selected in Burn Settings.

Here's the "skinny". With the factory DVD ROM in the drive I get the full range of burn settings my drive can support as pictured.
    With an old RW in the drive I get Max and 4X.
    With Nothing in the Drive I get Max, 2.4X, 2X, and 1X.

The second method is ripping the files to the HD with DVDFab Decrypter or another program and opening those in Recode. The program works the same, browse to the folder instead of the DVD. Put the Recordable DVD in the burner at this point when using HD files and let the drive recognize it. The full range of burn settings the drive supports for the media will appear in the drop down window. Select the speed and click Burn.

Too much is being made of an easy process. If it doesn't work as above there is a drive or media problem. In that case replace the drive and/or the media.