1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD's only play on recording drive

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by esokolow, Nov 25, 2003.

1. esokolow

esokolow Member

I think I've tried everything. I have an NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A burner. I am trying to copy a DVD of my daughter's wedding (with permission of the creator). I have tried Roxio 6.0, Nero 6, Clone DVD and DVD Decrypter followed by Nero. I get all the files on the DVD+RW and it plays perfectly in the NEC burning drive, but won't play in anything else. (Pioneer DVD Player, Sony DVD player, Toshiba DVD-ROM player in another computer and even the Samsung DVD-ROM in the same computer as the burner. Help please.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi esokolow, Your wedding dvd has no copy protection on it, so you don't need dvdshrink, dvddecrypter or any decrypting program. You don't say how you tried Nero but that should be all you need if the original plays on your stand alone players. Start Nero and click copy complete disc. It will copy original to HD and ask for a blank. Then it will copy HD files back to blank. DVD-RW discs will not always play on stand alone players unless the book for them says it will. Check each players specs to see if it will accept DVD-RW. Most are picky about +R and -R format too. See what they will play and use that media. Jerry

3. esokolow

esokolow Member

I did that again and got the same result. No other drive will recognize that there is a disc installed, but it plays fine on the original recording drive. My Pioneer and Sony say they are DVD Video. The others are DVD-ROM drives

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Did you check the + - format to see if they match your players. I can't understand why the original works but the second copy doesn't if the formats are right. jerry

5. Bodene

Bodene Regular member

You may be missing a crucial step. Try this...

In MY COMPUTER, navigate to the DVD and find the VIDEO_TS folder. Once you find it, drag it onto your HD. Once that occurs, open up Nero in DVD-Video mode. On the right, find your files, then drag them (not the folder they are in) into the VIDEO_TS folder that Nero provides. Then burn.

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Bodene, what you are suggesting may help. But I can't see how. If they have an unprotected dvd that plays on a player. It should copy with any of the direct disc to disc programs unless there is a compatability issue within the players and recorder and media. I hope your suggestion does work for them but it seems it's the long way around to the same thing. Jerry

7. esokolow

esokolow Member

I thought I had posted this earlier, but it didn't post. I redid everything with DVD+R instead of +RW and it works in all the players. Apparently, DVD+RW is not very popular for playing in DVD-ROM or DVD-Video drives. Thanks to everyone for the help.

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Esokolow, Happy to hear you got it working. I was almost sure it was a problem with media compatability, but with these computers, you never know. Good luck with the rest of your burn projects. Jerry