1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD's Wont Play, But once did.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dusty_td, Feb 18, 2007.

1. dusty_td

dusty_td Member

I have recently just started to back up my dvd's and have ran into some problems. They use to play in my DVD player but not im getting the Cant read disk error and skippy crap. I tried them out in other DVD players and they play them perfect with no problem what so ever. Is it the DVD player, the disks, or the way im burning? They dvd players that seem to have problems playing my back ups are my PS2 and an expensive Mitsubishi player. But my cheap DVD players play them just fine? Confused about what im doing wrong please help:(

2. dusty_td

dusty_td Member

Hmm, well I just burned a movie on the same type of disk using the same programs and it is running fine. Yet my other movies on the same type of disk which once worked in the player dont now. Once a DVD is recorded it doesnt get worse over time right?

3. dusty_td

dusty_td Member

Well, I seem to have found my problem, after reading some more on the forums its not such a good idea to have labels on your DVDs. So i tested DVD with label didnt work at all, 2 seconds after i took the Label off it works perfect. So if anyone else out there is having a problem playing with labels, just take the label off.

4. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

@ dusty_td,

What brand of dvds r u using?

The best blank media is Taiyo Yuden or Verbatims

5. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I bet they are on poor media, maybe memorex?

6. dusty_td

dusty_td Member

Well, I am using Memorex and Verbatim. I realize after reading some more posts that I should never buy Memorex, and should stick with the Verbatim and plus its cheaper. I have recently pulled off my labels and the disks are working much better. Im still getting a bit of skipping but could be due to the fact I didnt know how to change my write speed. I am now burning at 8x, is that the best speed to burn at?

7. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

The rule of burn speed is basically burn half what the top rated speed is at.
    so for 16x max speed its best to burn at 8x.

8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Get the stick on labels off the discs.

9. dusty_td

dusty_td Member

I have taken the labels off the discs and they seem to work perfect now. Now that I know about what discs to buy, i will burn only on Verbatim