1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVP642 and Linux Divx/Xvid encoders

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by LnStrngr, Oct 21, 2004.

1. LnStrngr

LnStrngr Member

I recently purchased a DVP642/37 and am having a lot of difficulty getting it to play any of my .AVI file properly. They all 'play', but there are a *lot* of hiccups, skipped frames, and complete lock-ups on *every* file I have tried.

I thought it might be my cheap DVD+RW media, so I tried a DVD+R and even a CD-RW disk, all with the same results.

I have better results with Xvid files than Divx, but it is still unacceptable.

Is anyone using Linux to create their disks for the DVP642, and if so, what codec and settings are you using?

The player also has a pretty poor picture with component video cables, progressive-mode or not. There are faint interference lines/bands throughout the picture that move around in time with the sounds of the DVD head movement. Is anyone else seeing this?

My cheap Samsung DVD player has a *much* better picture, so the DVP642 probably getting returned for a refund anyway, but am curious about other's experiences.

Thanks,
    Charles

2. steevojb

steevojb Guest