1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EAC/LAME set-up question

Discussion in 'Audio' started by DTom, Sep 9, 2002.

1. DTom

DTom Member

Using the configuration wizard in EAC V0.9 beta 4, I have previously selected, "Use recommended settings (from r3mix forum)" on the page where you browse to locate your lame.exe. When I select this and then goto Compression Options, the Additional Command Line Options line has this in it...

%l--alt-preset 128%l%h--alt-preset standard%h %s %

First, can anyone tell me what this means?

Also, when I try to replace this with....

--r3mix
    or
    --nspsytune --vbr-mtrh -V1 -mj -h -b96 --lowpass 19.5 --athtype 3 --ns-sfb21 2 -Z --scale 0.98 -X0

I cannot encode at all! Why is this?

If I go back through the configuration wizard and select "Use LAME standard settings.", then goto Compression Options, there is nothing in the Additional Command Line Options line. I can then put "--r3mix" into the ACLO line and I can encode, but, is it really taking this command?

Up to now, I've been encodeing with the "%l--alt-preset 128%l%h--alt-preset standard%h %s %". But I'm not sure that's what I want. The quality is great, but the filesizes are rather large. Bitrate is hovering around 210 average. I would prefer to be around 170 average.

Forgot to note I'm using LAME 3.92

Any assistance on decipering the EAC/LAME setup would be appreciated.

2. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

"%l--alt-preset 128%l%h--alt-preset standard%h %s % "

This is the standard EAC+LAME setup. It meast that with High Quality selected you end up with --alt-preset standard and with Low Quality switched on you get --alt-preset 128 (ABR 128kbps).

-r3mix is outdated and the webpage hasn't been maintained in ages. --alt-preset standard is designed to replace --r3mix and it is proven to provide better quality.

Bitrate depends on the music material. It the bitrate goes up, then more bits are needed in order to MAINTAIN HIGH QUALITY. It is said that ABR encoding is more efficient in medium or low bitrate applications, so go ahead and try --alt-preset 160 for example.

Note that OGG Vorbis should wipe the floor with, especially if you are looking for small filesize.