1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Erase burned in subtitles?

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by unitedOne, Apr 22, 2007.

1. unitedOne

unitedOne Member

Hello and goodday.
    I have alittle problem that i need some help with.I have a avi video file with burned in subtitles that i wish to burnn to a dvd-r.I need to know if i can erase the burned in subtitles and replace them with different ones.I have vlc player which lets me disable the burned in subtitles and add different ones which is pretty cool.I have convertXtoDVD,thx and goodday.

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

If VLC can disable the burnt in subs, then they aren't burnt in. Burnt in means that they are part of the picture and therefore can't be disabled since the picture that was behind the subs is no longer there. There are various filters/techniques for removing hard encoded subs by basically using the surrounding colours, however you generally end up with a bit of a blurred mess where the text used to be. Still if you were placing subtitles over the top, it might look acceptable.

3. Suba

Suba Regular member

I guess your question was an answer, but do not confuse rest of the people. The subtitles you have are not burned in (part of the picture). Like celtic_d say they are part of the subtitle track which can be turned on or off, that is why you could replace them without any problem, otherwise you would have a hell of the time to do that.