1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error 6 Softmod

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by m0dnewb, May 23, 2007.

1. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

Ok so I made another hard drive for my xbox its 160GB Seagate..

its lockable and unlockable i used the whole xboxHDM 1.9 thing..everything went well

but now when i put it in my xbox it says error 6

this is the second one thats done this to me. I had a friend make my first one because i was new at it...gave an error 6 now i did it myself same thing ERROR 6. How do i fix this with a softmod? i went back and unlocked it and locked it again and it still gives an error 6.

I seriously dont want to get a modchip but i will if i have to.

2. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

6 - kernel - Cannot unlock HDD

If you understand the above, you should be able to understand what this means. It means you are trying to boot up the xbox with an harddisk that is locked in combination with ANOTHER motherboard than you are using it with right now.

What can i do about it, you ask? Well place the harddisk back in the xbox where it came from. After that, UNLOCK the harddisk with the same procedure i explained above (see error 5). Now when the harddisk is UNLOCKED, put it in the xbox which gave you the error. Now when you boot up with the chip ON it should not give you an error anymore.

However when you put the xbox on with the chip OFF your xbox will give you an error. (error 5) So to make sure you can boot original and boot with the chip ON. Next do the same as above: "Boot up your xbox with the chip on. Preferrably with a slayer evo-x cd. Now you choose "Eeprom management." Than you choose: "Lock hdd." It takes one second. After its ready it should say something like "Done"
    When it is ready just turn off your xbox. Disable your chip and try to boot original. Now there should be no more error.

you need to try and lock the drive with a key that works

3. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

its a soft mod so i cant turn a chip on or off...otherwise it would be easier

and i've read this before

4. alinares

alinares Regular member

How are you gonna turn of a chip if you don't have one? isn't it softmodded? so there is no chip.

the only way to get it back to the way it was is to have the same old hdd and motherboard.If you thought just changing the HDD would still work yout thought wrong.that only works for chips.Except for exploits and stuff like that.

5. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Xbox's work on a combo of eeprom checks! The motherboard holds the code in a chip. The HDD is supplied a copy of the code. When you boot, the motherboard checks with the HDD, and if they have the same code, they proceed!

What you've done is supply the HDD with a different code (eeprom) to your motherboard.

Ensure that they match and try again! That is the ONLY reason for Error 6!

6. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

hmm well i used programs to grab my eeprom and i put that on a disk went through all the steps...still gave me an error 6 and then i did it with my friends and it works fine.

7. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

If you are using the eeprom that was generated via your softmod, then the eeprom is wrong! That is your Virtual eeprom. You can use your Softmod screen again to generate another 'Real' one and just note where it places it! You can then test whether it's the real one or not with a program called 'LiveInfo'. This will tell you the serial number on the bottom of your Xbox. If it matches, you're in business!

8. sharksta

sharksta Guest

i have problem 5. i need to lock the HDD.

9. sharksta

sharksta Guest

*or i should say "error number 05"

my bad.

10. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Error 5, the exact opposite to Error 6. You need to LOCK your drive with the correct eeprom. If you do not have this code, you are in serious trouble. The only way around that now is an EEprom reader or a modchip!

11. sharksta

sharksta Guest

i know i know. im going to connect my xbox HDD into my PC.

12. 360OwNeR

360OwNeR Member

how do i get the real eeprom i need to put into the hdd???

i have a softmod and i get an error 6

13. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

It should have been backed up when you modded the dash. Look there!