1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

error 7

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by conboms, Mar 25, 2007.

1. conboms

conboms Member

hi
    could you help get error 7 was wondering what problem is is hard drive broken thx
    also have prob with other xbox drive wont stay closed
    any help be appreciated

2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Yup.. Error 7 is 90 times out of 100 a dead hdd. This can cause other strange faults, like the dvd drive constantly ejecting.

One thing you can try is unplugging the dvd drive and seeing if it boots to error 12.. if so it may be as simple asfitting a new hdd with the right data on it.. Not as simple as just pluging one in. If the hdd is totally dead, and you don't have the eeprom data saved somewhere from modding then it's a long and complicated process.. The easy way is fit a solderless chip.

The problem when they are like this is they can cost more to repair than they are worth. You can end up replacing the hdd, dvd drive and fitting a chip, only to find that the IDE controller has failed, and both drives are actually fine.

What would I do?? I sometimes buy these type (error7) very cheaply, but knowing about the dvd drive problem TBH I wouldn't get involved.
    I'd probably sell it on ebay and buy a replacement from a reputable pawn shop type place with the proceeds.