1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

error message #16 service required - help

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by mbrizzee, Apr 6, 2005.

1. mbrizzee

mbrizzee Member

I had a friend install executer 2 mod chip on my xbox a while ago (it's not the first version of xbox, but I believe its the second). Now when I turn on the xbox, there is a error message "16 service required" then a bunch of other languages. Also the LCD would flash red and green and my mod chip light would be red instead of green. I checked to see if the chip was lose but it seems fine (no matter how i position it, the lights on the chip are blue and ones yellow, while the chip light on the outside is still red instead of green). I asked a friend that had his xbox modded and he said it usually means the chip is lose, but I dont think it is. Any suggestions on a solution?

2. punqewe

punqewe Active member

16 - dashboard - Other files to do with dashboard / dashboard settings (specific dashboard error)

Sounds like the xbox can't find the dashboard. Try running a bott disk and explore the xbox to see if the dashboard files are named properly. (the .xbe file to the dashboard)

3. mbrizzee

mbrizzee Member

I was reading in another forum that may I can just reinstall the dashboard using the autoinstallers slayer or AID. Which one should I use and if I install this, would I lose my games on the hard drive?

4. punqewe

punqewe Active member

do you remember what the boot order is on the bios that was falshed to your xbox? If so write it down.....then if you have to use [bold]slayers[/bold] to reinstall the dash. It shouldn't overwrite your games if you just do a dash upgrade,I might be wrong though. Might be a good idea to ask a few other people before you go ahead and try anything though.

5. mbrizzee

mbrizzee Member

Should I flash the chip, or reinstall the dashboard? The mod chip is working and what happens is I'll turn on the xbox and the light on the chip (the one outside of the xbox) is green like its supposed to be, but then the xbox would turn off, then on, then off, then on again, but this time it stays on with a blank screen on the tv. Also the tray does not open when I push the eject button, but I can get it open with the little paperclip whole. I found a sight where I can get the flash software, cromwell i believe it was and the slayer sight. So which one should I do and will I lose any of my games on my 160 gb hard drive? If I install the slayers for the dashboard without formating I should be safe there, however if I have to flash the chip, I don't know if I'll lose the games.

6. mbrizzee

mbrizzee Member

Ok, I just tried booting the xbox with the mod chip disabled off of the retail hard drive and I get an error #6 now. What do I do now. Should I update the dashboard. If I do this how do I get the xbox to boot because when the mod chip is enabled, it turns on and off again 3 times then frags with no video output. I have the slayer cdrw ready to go.

7. mbrizzee

mbrizzee Member

I used 2 xboxs for this. When I put the workin xbox together and booted it, it came up to a clock and date menu. I was wondering since it did this just after i tried using it to boot mine, that mine does have a clock problem? Also, error #6 is the hard drive isn't unlocked, if I unlock the retail hard drive, then turn off the xbox. Then hook my xbox up to the retail, would I be able to boot my xbox and change the clock on mine?

8. mbrizzee

mbrizzee Member

anyone help me? I really need to get this xbox fixed soon.

9. mbrizzee

mbrizzee Member

ok, i just tried to boot the slayers dick (cdrw) and it wont get past the error message to the menu even when I turn the xbox on with the slayers disk in. So any suggestions???

10. ianruk

ianruk Member

hi i softmodded my xbox and i deleted the dash by accident and now my xbox wont get past the error 16 screen nomatter what i have tried
    anyone know what i can do because its really annoying me
    i tried loading slayers...my 007 which i softmodded my xbox, auto installer deluxe ,but nothing passes the error 16 page

11. RideHaro

RideHaro Member

i have the same problem as rite above me... it wont allow me to play any sort of disc... and i have 2 xbox's aswell if that is useful to the fixing process

12. Bloodust

Bloodust Guest

Use xboxHDM athe asnd Uxe Complete and do a hotswap ( i have the same prob as u and im almost done hotswapping)

13. RideHaro

RideHaro Member

could you plz tell me exactly what to do and how to hot swap.. i dont wanna break my friends xbox

14. Bloodust

Bloodust Guest

WEll it could also break your pc too lol,.....

But I Cant really explain hotswaping u would have to look up n a turtoil

15. talon0727

talon0727 Member

I am having a similar problem. I'm not sure what happened. This xbox was given to me by someone who tried to mod it. He bought a solderless xenium SPIce chip. I am not sure where to get a dash board. I think i have the slayer dashboard but nothing happens. All the xbox seems to do is boot into the xenium bios or what i think is the bios? Can anyone help?????

16. talon0727

talon0727 Member

I also want to add that I have no instructions or discs for this.